Do shipped eggs really hatch?

I've got a screaming huge lot of chicks and poults from shipped eggs on the ground right now. So, aye, can be done. And anywhere from a single hatchling to a 90+ percent hatch, to zero. Part luck, part practice. The better hatches were turned really often, about split between hand turning and the auto-turned. When I hand turn shipped eggs I do so 5-7 times a day. Obviously the auto turner does it a lot more than that.

Some shipped eggs were scrambled in shipping. Most will suffer some weight loss due to dehydration. I've had 60% hatches of eggs with damaged and displaced aircells.

When you get shipped eggs then yes you increase the risks of lower rates but you can get a feel for hatching them.

Resting periods appear to be very important. 24 or more hours. I got a great hatch on shipped turkey eggs that had to sit three days before going in. 11 out of 14 hatched, nine made it - that's good for turkeys.

So it's more than anything persistence, patience and a different set of skills and luck.

I started with an LG and no turner and had low hatches. I added the turner and a Hygrometer and my hatches got better. I now use a 1588 and turner to incubate and the LG to hatch on mixed hatches and my rate has skyrocketed. (FYI,If I use the 1588 all the way through, I get near perfect numbers.)

By getting a turner, you eliminate opening the incubator 2 and 3 times a day to turn. This keep your humidity and temp more consistent. The 1588 is forced air. I really believe the air circulation is a real help to the growth because it gets the air moving all around the incubator. The still air tends to have pockets of warm and cold. Further, with the air circulating, the evaporation rate is more accurate for growth. Before I'd have really big chicks who couldn't get out and I'd have to help them.

I also let the eggs sit aprox 24 hours to "rest" before they go in the incubator. I usually set eggs early in the morning. Don't know if the time of day makes a difference or not, but I try to be consistent from hatch to hatch on what I do to better figure out what can be modified. I also candle white eggs on day 7 and brown eggs on day 10, then again on day 18. I used to candle more, but that only messed with temp and humidity. I have a set of polish eggs on day 17 now. I put in 16 have 15 growing as of day 7. They were shipped in state. I also have 26 orp eggs in now. They are on day 8. I will candle them Sunday.

I have hatched my own mixed flock, orpingtons and polish. The eggs shipped from farthest away seemed to do the worst. Further, if the PO had them too long in transit, I had low rates. My best hatch so far was 5 out of 7 SL polish from OK to PA. My second best rate was 6 of 13 Orps from VA to PA. (that hatch should have been 9 of 13 but my cat unplugged the hatcher!!!)

Shipped eggs are always a risk, but there are things you can do to improve your rates on your end. I have the "cheap styrofoam" one too, but I have made adjustments to get better rates. As for you thermometer issue, make sure you have new batteries. i had bad bateries and it makes the thing read really weird. Also, I would "test" the hygrometer to make sure they are running properly. There is a thing about salt, glass, water and a zip-loc bag. If no one here knows the specifics, I 'll dig it out of my PMs. I never can remember the measurements off the top of my head. Testing them will let you know who is high, low or right.

Most of all, don't give up. It's trial and error for the first little while. I've had over a dozen hatches these last few months and I learn something every time.

Last edited:
I don't think Annika will mind if I brag. She bought blue slate turkey eggs from me. She rocks hatching eggs!
bun.gif
bow.gif
bun.gif

ladybug4ut1
Overrun With Chickens
E-mail PM Hey

Guess what 100 % hatch 6 eggs and yes 6 live turkeys.......4 blue and 2 black.....

Here is a web site i found regarding there colors and thought it was real interesting so i am sharing......http://www.porterturkeys.com/blueslate.htm

thanks again

Annika

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard Cochins Cayuga and Welsh Harlequin ducks Bobwhite quail (orange and regular) Coturnix quail Button Quail Sizzles Blue Slate Turkeys WCB Polish EEs

Quote:
Annika
smile.png
aren't turkey color genetics NEAT?

I have sweetgrass calicos aka Fall Fires on Kev's site and I am seriously overjoyed to be playing the color game. Kev has a yahoo turkey color genetics group in case you're interested. Aren't poults and colors just neat?

Last edited:
Ive got 4 bantam orps plus a 5th on the way from shipped eggs. Out of 2 dozen only 7 developed. 2 died in shell during hatch. Now ive also got 11 bbs orps out of 12 and 6 for 6 dutch eggs developing out of shipped eggs from dutchchic. There was a huge difrence in the packing of the eggs with those i got from dutchchic and those i got from a hatchery. Clearly dutchchics method of wrapping with that plastic bubble wrap works great. The hatchery wrapped in toilet paper and put in a egg carton.

Great thread so far! I am looking to hatch shipped eggs as none of my hens are laying age yet, and there is a lot of good info on this thread.

What is the importance of letting the eggs sit out before you put them in the bator. I wouldve guessed that the sooner the better as far as getting them in the heat. And how long of a rest do you put them through to get the best hatch.

vortec

Quote:
Letting the eggs rest before setting in the bator does two things, first the air cell can settle better to the top and helps the air temp to adjust to your house if it's been too cold or too hot with them traveling. My opinion.

I've had at times 100% hatches on shipped eggs using a turner or hand turning. I've also had 1 time nothing hatch from shipped.

Last edited:
I am on my first shipped eggs experience. I have 5 out of 8 eggs right now that have life in them. They are only day 5 though.

I also have some cochins that I just stuck in. I am really hoping they hatch!! I would love to have some of them in my flock.

I've seen several on here with shipped eggs hatching out.

Good luck to all who have shipped eggs in their bator! May they all hatch out
fl.gif

ETA: I have only been turing my eggs twice a day! Should I be doing it more??????

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom