Pros & cons of high protein feed for chicks

I think starter or starter/grower anywhere from 18-24% would be optimal for chicks till they are around 12 weeks old. If you are using the higher protein levels at that time, it's advisable to lower it to 15-18% in order to slow sexual development, which helps them not come into lay too early and also, I've read, it will prevent prolapses. Then, when they are 18-20 weeks or begin to lay, switch them to a layer feed that is 16-18%. I sometimes use Game Bird Breeder at 20% or Super Layer at 22% during the molt.

All that said, many are using Game Bird Grower at around 20-22% all the way from hatch through adulthood. Makes it easier, no feed changes, and you just supplement calcium when they begin laying.

Corn doesn't help them generate heat. It lowers the protein content and mine would eat only the corn if I mixed it with layer pellets.

I use feeds that still contain animal protein, which I feel promotes better feather growth, etc. It's porcine protein, according to the label.

There is not one perfect way to feed and much depends on whether they freerange or not and have access to green forage and bugs. Anyway, that's my $10 (inflation).

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
This is utterly and completly FALSE!

I am just dumbfounded by the misinformation and misconceptions people on BYC have in their heads.

he.gif

Jim

Easy there, friend. I read my facts, just as you did. Since I don`t seem to be able to find my source, perhaps you could direct us to yours......Pop​

Quote:
Please post the reference that states that the protein is gone from ground corn in three days. I did a quick search of the archives of the Journal of Animal Science, Canadian Journal of Animal Science, Poultry Science, and The Professional Animal Scientists and nound nothing that drew the same conclusion.

In my 17 years as a livestock nutritionist I have never read or heard anything remotely close to this.

Jim

Last edited:

Quote:
Please post the reference that states that the protein is gone from ground corn in three days. I did a quick search of the archives of the Journal of Animal Science, Canadian Journal of Animal Science, Poultry Science, and The Professional Animal Scientists and nound nothing that drew the same conclusion.

In my 17 years as a livestock nutritionist I have never read or heard anything remotely close to this.

Jim

I have heard from my feed guy that I shouldn't keep a supply for more than a month (I do push 2 months in winter though) because the feed is loosing it's nutrients.

Maybe he is just protecting me from spoiled feed???

One thought though, if feed stayed nutritious for more than XX days, weeks, what have you, then why do all the confinement operations (the big ones around here are Christensen Farms and Schwartz Farms) deliver feed every couple days?? If it kept for a month, wouldn't they just use bigger bulk bins and cut down on transportation costs???​

Quote:

Jim

Actually I first read it in one of the gamefowl journals many years ago. Then I did a search and read it in an article by one of the universities. That was years ago and I can`t locate the source. If you have 17 years as a livestock nutritionist, I`ll just drop it on your word. If I ever locate the info again, I`ll PM you. Have a nice day.......Pop​

Quote:
There is no doubt that Fresh feed is important to livestock production. Anytime you have feed stored you run the risk of vitamin degradation, spoilage, and pest infestation. I have no issue with keeping fresh feed, my issue is with the statement that gound corn is worthless after 3 days.

Large commercial swine operations like Christens and Schwartz probably change feeds formulations for their hogs every 14 to 21 days, plus they want to provide fresh feed to limit spoilage issues. It is not uncommon for a pig to consume 10 to 20 different feeds from weaning to market.

Jim

kathyinmo asked: have been reading that some people feed their chicks (Buckeyes in particular), high protein feed ... such as Game Bird Starter (30%) exclusively the first 8 weeks -- Purina Game Bird Chow, specifically.

Is this only recommended for Buckeyes? What are the pros and cons of feeding increased protein?

It may work for some other breeds as well. I would not think it would be good for the slow growing breeds and in fact, the least protein would be better for those breeds (e.g. Javas, Brahmas). I believe you would need to experiment with the protein % in other growing breeds to see what worked best. I cannot say the Buckeye formula would work for all breeds.

It is a fact that at least 28% protein feed is best for Buckeyes. The ALBC Buckeye recovery project discovered this rather accidently. 25 experienced breeders were each given 25 Buckeye chicks to raise as they saw fit. The chicks were all from the same breeding stock. The Buckeye chicks were thoroughly handled & examined and weighed at 8 weeks of age and again at 16 weeks and finally at 1 year of age. The ALBC took notes on the conditions of rearing and exactly what the chicks were fed taking into account protein % and other things. The breeders were told to keep up with this information. What the ALBC found was that chicks on higher protein grew and developed the best (at least 28%) and the better the feed, the better the results. In fact, the chicks on the highest protein (>28%) grew at twice the rate of the chicks on the lowest protein %. The ALBC found that chicks on lower protein diets during the first 8 weeks NEVER met their potential at 1 year of age. They have tweeked their research since and found that the first 8 weeks are critical and that it is better to then bring down the protein % in feeds after 8 weeks (for me, this has been down to 19% but still a Game Bird Chow (Conditioner)). The higher protein after about 10-12 weeks can actually retard growth in Buckeyes (also discovered by ALBC breeders).

It is my opinion that the formula of >28% protein for the first 8 weeks decreased to below 20% protein works for Buckeyes because of the Buckeye's rate of growth the first 8 weeks is the greatest and also because the Buckeye is a very muscular and highly active fowl with a higher percentage of fast twitch muscle (darker meat) than the usual. Muscle and fast twitch muscle require additional protein. In my opinion also, decreasing the protein % after 8-10 weeks makes sense because the Buckeye chick's rate of growth slows down accordingly.

The kind of intense study and recovery as the ALBC conducted would be helpful with other chciken breeds, but realize, the Buckeye project was very labor intensive as you can imagine. I did not take part in the project but have personally talked with those who did (at the ALBC convetion in 2007, at poultry shows and by email)-- this is the source of my knowledge. I quickly changed my Buckeye chicks diet in 2007 due to this information. The improvement I noticed after increasing the protein %, while I would like to credit to my own breeding selections, is really all about the feeding.

The reason I feed Purina Game Bird Chow is because it contains animal as well as plant protein. It is generally accepted that IF you are breeding birds or showing birds, for whatever reason, animal protein is necessary for fertility & vigor and better feather quality. After the Mad Cow Disease scare, feed companies went to making their feed with all plant protein and non animal products (thereby removing the possibility that a cow or some other mammal would eat animal brains, parts, etc.). Immediately, poultry breeders noticed a decline in the fertility of their brids and poorer feather quality-- simultaneously, they were all seeing the same thing and commeting about it & it was widely discussed and the general concensus was that the animal protein was the difference. I don't think there is much debate about this conclusion anymore in serious poultry circles.

I hope this helps.​

Large commercial swine operations like Christens and Schwartz probably change feeds formulations for their hogs every 14 to 21 days, plus they want to provide fresh feed to limit spoilage issues. It is not uncommon for a pig to consume 10 to 20 different feeds from weaning to market.

Jim

You know, I think i've heard that before from one of the guys who works in the barns. Amazing that they have it so fine tuned isn't it?​

Quote:
It may work for some other breeds as well. I would not think it would be good for the slow growing breeds and in fact, the least protein would be better for those breeds (e.g. Javas, Brahmas). I believe you would need to experiment with the protein % in other growing breeds to see what worked best. I cannot say the Buckeye formula would work for all breeds.

It is a fact that at least 28% protein feed is best for Buckeyes. The ALBC Buckeye recovery project discovered this rather accidently. 25 experienced breeders were each given 25 Buckeye chicks to raise as they saw fit. The chicks were all from the same breeding stock. The Buckeye chicks were thoroughly handled & examined and weighed at 8 weeks of age and again at 16 weeks and finally at 1 year of age. The ALBC took notes on the conditions of rearing and exactly what the chicks were fed taking into account protein % and other things. The breeders were told to keep up with this information. What the ALBC found was that chicks on higher protein grew and developed the best (at least 28%) and the better the feed, the better the results. In fact, the chicks on the highest protein (>28%) grew at twice the rate of the chicks on the lowest protein %. The ALBC found that chicks on lower protein diets during the first 8 weeks NEVER met their potential at 1 year of age. They have tweeked their research since and found that the first 8 weeks are critical and that it is better to then bring down the protein % in feeds after 8 weeks (for me, this has been down to 19% but still a Game Bird Chow (Conditioner)). The higher protein after about 10-12 weeks can actually retard growth in Buckeyes (also discovered by ALBC breeders).

It is my opinion that the formula of >28% protein for the first 8 weeks decreased to below 20% protein works for Buckeyes because of the Buckeye's rate of growth the first 8 weeks is the greatest and also because the Buckeye is a very muscular and highly active fowl with a higher percentage of fast twitch muscle (darker meat) than the usual. Muscle and fast twitch muscle require additional protein. In my opinion also, decreasing the protein % after 8-10 weeks makes sense because the Buckeye chick's rate of growth slows down accordingly.

The kind of intense study and recovery as the ALBC conducted would be helpful with other chciken breeds, but realize, the Buckeye project was very labor intensive as you can imagine. I did not take part in the project but have personally talked with those who did (at the ALBC convetion in 2007, at poultry shows and by email)-- this is the source of my knowledge. I quickly changed my Buckeye chicks diet in 2007 due to this information. The improvement I noticed after increasing the protein %, while I would like to credit to my own breeding selections, is really all about the feeding.

The reason I feed Purina Game Bird Chow is because it contains animal as well as plant protein. It is generally accepted that IF you are breeding birds or showing birds, for whatever reason, animal protein is necessary for fertility & vigor and better feather quality. After the Mad Cow Disease scare, feed companies went to making their feed with all plant protein and non animal products (thereby removing the possibility that a cow or some other mammal would eat animal brains, parts, etc.). Immediately, poultry breeders noticed a decline in the fertility of their brids and poorer feather quality-- simultaneously, they were all seeing the same thing and commeting about it & it was widely discussed and the general concensus was that the animal protein was the difference. I don't think there is much debate about this conclusion anymore in serious poultry circles.

I hope this helps.

That is exactly the information I was hoping for and I appreciate your time and effort in sharing this with us! I am so glad the 30% comes in tomorrow!

One last question from me (for now LOL) The 30% isn't going to be medicated (I think) how will that affect the chicks with immunity? Should I mix in a bit of the medicated or not worry about it?

Back
Top Bottom