What is your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe

4F FARM

Songster
12 Years
Jan 7, 2008
North Idaho
I love home mad mac and cheese, but I always seem to use so much cheese to get it to taste cheesey. Does anyone have a great recipe that actually tastes like cheese?

Hunter cheese is what my MIL uses to make hers, and its the best i have ever had...and it sure seems everyone who tries it says the same thing.

8 oz macaroni
3 tbs butter
3 tbs flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
2c sharp cheddar cheese
pepper to taste

Cook macaroni, melt butter in saucepan, blend flour, add milk, salt, pepper and 1 and a 1/2 cups cheese. Stir till thick. Grease dish, pour in. The remaining 1/2 cup cheese goes on top. Bake 350 for 30 min.

You can double this recipe to make a 9x13 dish. I always get asked to make it for family/work functions.

This one is sooooooo good and low fat too!

4 cups cooked macaroni
2 cups (8oz) reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese-shredded
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup low fat sour cream
1/2 cup low fat milk
2 tbs grated onion-needs this do not omit
1tbs margarine
1/ tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg (YES!) lightly beaten
cooking spray
dry read crumbs
paprika as much as you like

Combine 1st ten ingredients and stir well, spoon into 2 qut. casserole coated with cooking spray
sprinkle with breadcrumbs and paprika bake 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes

Cover with foil for 1st 15 min if desired

I have also added 1/4 c Parmesan and a little Dijon to make it different-Very good recipe!

If you add just a teeny bit of crumbled blue cheese to any cheddar cheese/mac recipe it will bring out the flavor more...careful though, if you add too much, it will taste like old sneakers!

My kids complained that this recipe was too cheesey!

Over-the-Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe created by Patti LaBelle (Oprah)

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound elbow macaroni
8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup (8 ounces) Velveeta, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2-quart casserole.

Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.

In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.

Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

1 box macaroni, cooked and drained
3/4 stick of butter
a little over 1/4 c. plain flour
1 c. milk
1c. bouillon, any kind
1 lb. sharp cheddar, shredded
Parmesan cheese, as much as you like
2 tbsp. dried onion flakes
1 1/2 tsp. salt
garlic to taste
1 1/2 tsp. thyme
big pinch ground sage
Italian or poultry seasoning to taste
Cracker/bread crumbs you like--dry Stove Top also works well

Optional additions: diced ham, bacon, mushrooms, diced celery, chili powder, cayenne, fresh tomatoes, more cheese...

In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until you get a pasty texture. Stir, letting the goo get a light brown color. Slowly, bit by bit, add the milk and bouillon, stirring or whisking constantly so it doesn't get lumpy. Let simmer until slightly thickened and creamy. Add 2/3 - 3/4 of the shredded cheddar and 1/2 the parmesan. Stir until smooth, then add the salt and herbs and stir just till blended.

Put the cooked macaroni in a casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over and stir to mix. Add any optional goodies you like at this time. Top with remaining cheese, crumbs/Stove Top, and bake at 325F for 25 minutes until bubbly. You may need to cover the dish for the first 15 minutes if your oven, like mine, does not have the most perfect distribution of heat.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to the store to get some more cheese. I never knew about the blue cheese thing. I'll have to try it. I have never thought of muenster cheese either. I usually just use sharp cheddar, american, and provolone or swiss if I have it in the house. It sounds like the trick is to use strong flavored cheeses without overpowering the sauce. I can't wait to try all the recipes.

Back
Top Bottom