HELP- 6 week Buff Orp that has blood in poop and crop issue

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
I just moved my 6week old BO out from my garage into a pen in one of my coops on Friday. I have put them in the shade in a large covered pen during the days and in at nite. When I went to put them outside yesterday morning I saw that somone had blood in there poop so I put some Sulmet in their water. And I go outside every hour to check on them and the rest of the flock and when I went to check them yesterday afternoon and one of them (BO) is in the corner just sitting down. so I pick it up and try to get her to drink some water and eat and wouldn't. I then felt her over and her crop was kind of squishy and felt like air was in there. I brought her inside and put her inside of a rabbit cage with some water with Sulmet in there and some chick food. I tried to give her some bread with olive oil, bird seed, and finally some mealworms. She refused all but the mealworms. She ate 6 or 7 of them, but then stopped eating all together. this morning her crop feels like a balloon and feels like it is gasy. I am going to take her to the vet along with another chicken that is laying interenally cause she needs to have surgery.

But can anyone give me any clues as to what it may be? Impacted crop, sour crop. She is such a sweet bird and want to give her the chance to have a wonderful life. (at least I think it is a girl, got 5 girls and 1 roo)

Please help! thank you

Sounds like sour crop, the gassy feeling it has. You have to withdraw food for 24 hours, give water with unfiltered apple cider vinegar (changes the pH in the crop), then start with plain yogurt (nothing with sugar), then scrambled eggs--nothing her crop has to grind up. Massage it carefully, not pushing up on it, a couple times a day. Hopefully, that will do it. Check for any moldy feed, which can cause sour crop.

speckledHen

I thought something on the lines of this. I took her to the vet this morning and she didn't seem to concerned with the crop. She tested her poop which has blood in it and it didn't come back as cocidious (can't spell it but hopfuly you know what it means) looks like no parasites. She prescribed Metronidazole 250 mg tablets. 1/2 each day. Well I still wasn't happy with what she said concerning the crop. The only thing she said was that it wasn't impacted well yea it is empty and airy inside so can't be impacted. I even took her to my local family owned livestock store (they have had chickens for years and they are quite knowledgeable) but they didn't know this one either.

My other concern is that the blood in the poop. I have 6 other chicks with this one and now I have 4 that have the gasy crop and the bloody poop. What do you think that the bloody poop is from? do I get the medicine for them and treat them as well.

thanks in advance
Lisa

It kinda looks red. I am really starting to worry about my BO. I just got them in June and waited 2 years to get them and now they may not make it. They are kinda sluggish and def not eating. Well before I read your 1st response I gave them some mealworms. Now I know I have done them damage.

No, you didn't do any damage by giving mealworms, so don't worry about that. When there is a sour crop issue, they just don't need anything that has to be ground up. I've been told by someone who is a long time chicken keeper to put copper sulfate in the water. I'm looking for some to keep on hand here. It's anti fungal as well, but I don't think you should do that while they are taking the Metro-stuff.

what do you think that is causing the bloody poop. I just was able to get 2 of the 3 to drink some Braggs ACV and water. Just checked on the remaining4 chcks outside and they seem to be fine so far. I love them so and they are such sweet chicks. I want to see them grow up. do you think you may know of something that i can give for the bloody poop when parasites don't seem to be the issue?

L

You know, in spite of the clean coccidiosis test, if it was mine and I was seeing bloody poop, I think I'd treat it with Corid anyway. It's not an antibiotic and shouldn't hurt them to do a round of it. Other than cocci, necrotic enteritis and worms are all I can think of that cause bloody poop. The most likely with a chick that age is cocci.

I only have Sulmet because noone has Corid around here. Can I order this online or does this have to have a RX? So if I use this then hopefully it would treat whatever you mentioned in your last response?

You can get Corid or Cocci-Rid powder online, yes, no scrip needed. Jeffers Livestock Supply, First State Vet Supply, and some hatcheries should have it. Maybe one of our sponsors does. I'm not sure what treats necrotic enteritis--I was under the impression it was the next step in a bad cocci outbreak, but I'm probably wrong about that. Here is a write up on that illness, but there isn't much chance it's that in your bird: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

Back
Top Bottom