Types of peas at the Mill Help me out

Lotsapaints

Songster
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
There are Canadian peas, Austrian peas, yellow peas and split peas now I'm sprouting so split peas are out what about the others...I know I could feed the split peas would probably need to grind them.....I just asked for field peas....the split peas are pricey but the others run about 15.00 a 100#

The peas I get are 4010 forage peas. Best I can tell is they are a cross variety. They color on the outside is purple/green. They come from North Dakota.. Right next to Canada.

I think they are very similar to some of the peas you can get. (By the way congratulations! Wow what great prices!)
jumpy.gif

I would go with the smallest size one. Also try and find out the protein values and select the one with the highest protein value. My 4010 peas are at 24% protein. The Austrian winter pea look good to me.

Here is something from the Canadian pea people: I am not sure which one your supplier is calling "Canadian"

http://www.pulsecanada.com/what-are-pulses/peas

Austrian peas:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/a9qj7t57t1m42837/

Field peas in general:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/drypea.html

My birds would not eat them whole or sprouted.. But do eat them ground up and mixed in.
wink.png

Be well
ON

I am soooo happy you found peas!

Last edited:
Some mill will carry-
AUSTRIAN PEAS,
MAPLE PEAS,
VETCH PEAS,
CANADIAN PEAS,
All are good to add to a feed mixture.

The one Grain Mix that I use has MAPLE PEAS, VETCH PEAS, and CANADIAN PEAS in it..

Chris

on the Australian list of feeding they added molasses to the pea sprouts to get them to eat them once started they then ate them...I don't have a grinder how much of an investment would that be?

Very interesting reading, Organics North. In the South, we grow peas in the heat of the summer such as blackeyed peas and purple hull peas, and NOT for the livestock either.
gig.gif
We eat them ourselves and fight the deer out of the fields for them. A bushel of shelled Purple hull peas sells for $20-$25. I don't have a pea patch:(, but if I did, I don't think I would let the chickens in until I got all I wanted. haha
yippiechickie.gif
But on the other hand, when I get the room for peas and other vegetables that take a lot of room, I will include extras for the chickens. I just never thought of peas as chicken feed.

are you mixing peas with other grains as total feed or using as treat? I gave my chicks canned and frozen peas last winter as a treat and they loved them but I hadn't thought about using for feed in summer.

Hey thanks for the info on peas:) The only peas I recognized in this post was green peas. the others I have never heard of. Too dang hot here I guess. I took some dry black eyed peas, smashed them with a hammer and offered them to my 2 girls in my hand. Boy howdy!!! They scarfed them up like candy. They will make a good treat until I can plant my own pea patch.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Interesting idea with the molasses. Why not try sprouting them and see if they eat them. Maybe it will work for you! Try the molasses idea too. (I never thought about dipping them in maple syrup first.) (It is what we have that is free.. we make lots of it.)

Grinders. I think I paid under $30 including shipping from a ebay seller in MI. I have been using it for 6 months and it is still getting the job done. (I am lazy and hooked a drill up to it to grind.) (The 7 year old went on strike..
gig.gif
)

ON

Quote:
Oh mine love green garden peas.!!! The peas we are talking about are bitter, but have a great nutrient profile. I mix my own feed, peas are 20% of the mix. My BYC page has the basic recipe and ingredients.

ON

It's interesting that you mentioned molasses. We pastured our sheep, but in the winter they ate hay and some of our feed mix. Our old sheep feed recipe contained several grains, soy, minerals and vitamins. We always had the feed mill mix just a little molasses in it, too. Not only was it tasty, it bound all the powdery additives to the grain, to keep them evenly distributed in the mix, instead of settling to the bottom. I've often thought about this, when people talk about the powdery additives in chicken feed. The sheep loved it, ate all the ingredients in the mix and the chickens gobbled whatever amount they could get.

Back
Top Bottom