What is our Beaky Doodle Dandy?

6Happiness

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Beaky Doodle is from our Bantam Hen Sylvia and our Bantam Roo, Pasquale.

I got some feedback on background of Sylvia and Pasquale over here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=364702&p=1

From
that thread, we gather that Pat MIGHT have behind him: silkie, Faverolle, bearded polish, phoenix, and/or seabright

I know the breeder we got Sylvia from had Seabrights in addition to Orpingtons and barred rocks, so its possible any of those are in her background too, but i don't know enough about judging carriage and the like to know how likely any of those are.

Now obviously, Beaky Doodle is a MUTT- But genetics-obsessed person that I am (talk to me about fancy rats sometimes
wink.png
) I am curious about what CAN be identified about Beaky's phenotype and genotype...

I'm pretty certain Beak is a hen- right? If Beaky was a roo, he should have duck wings, am I right?

What would you call Beaky's colouring? Is it still "silver duck wing" even though the wings are not patterned? Some other name?

Beaky has ONE extra toe on one foot only- so he has the polydactyle gene. and minor leg/foot feathering.
His parents had white legs and yellow legs.... Beaky has black legs and carries white and yellow leg, am I correct?

Anything else that can be determined about what beaky IS genetically, what Beaky is appearance wise (how to describe her colour) and what beaky lightly carries recessively.

Thanks much!

MOM AND DAD:
main.php

BEAKY DOODLE as she's grown up:

s640x480

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

I believe what you have there might be classified as an Easter Egger, which is not really a 'breed'. Easter Eggers have no color standards, so there isn't really a name for that color. It really does look much like a silver duckwing hen, though.

Those are all the questions that I have about my little ones! They grow up and be what they are---but I sure wish I knew what was in them! I will say that I have not had any like yours though. Beaky's Dad is a very nice looking bird! Terri O--who loves her Mutts better that the purebred ones!

Quote:
If she doesn't lay green/blue eggs though, she wouldn't be an EE though right? Or has EE become a catchall for any mutt bird? (I dunno what colour her eggs will be, she's not old enough yet to lay)

Last edited:
Quote:
If she doesn't lay green/blue eggs though, she wouldn't be an EE though right? Or has EE become a catchall for any mutt bird? (I dunno what colour her eggs will be, she's not old enough yet to lay)

It's always been my understanding that EE refers to an Ameraucana or Araucana cross and should not be used as a catch all for any mixed breed chicken.

Beakys coloring is a silver duckwing hen coloring while her dad is a silver duckwing roos coloring. her mom is a BBR or black breasted red (possibly wild type because of all the black) but in hen form.

What breeds. I don't know.

lanae

Back
Top Bottom