Appleyard Duck Eggs in the Bator - 1 is out!

If everyone makes it, I had 11 Appleyards hatch yesterday. I think that gives me 27 for the season with two more hatches to go. We're going to eat very well this Spring/Summer.

Angie,
Good luck with them, I hope more start to show progress.
Christie
smile.png

How are they looking MissPrissy? You're on Day 10?

I am on day 6 with my appleyards and have 9 for sure beating hearts. Unfortunately one of those is in an egg that had a totally wobbly, all over the egg- aircell so I don't have very high hopes. I have a couple I'm pretty sure are goners, and 9 others I just can't tell. (noob!) Of the first nine, it is SO obvious, the embryos are all right up next to the shell and you can see those tiny hearts fluttering.

I'm already eyeing my second bator.
smile.png
Can't decide yet if I'm going to build another one, or go with the genesis 1588. I saw a solid state thermostat for around $30 and it was with great restraint that I left it on the shelf and went home to think about it.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, too.

Cham

I haven't candled again yet. I have 3 the last time with really goods veins. Good luck with your eggs! I'll be waiting to see how your hatch goes!

Quote:
Miss Prissy I am so jealous! And hungry now too.
pop.gif
Let me know where you are getting Embdens from! I have been looking all over. They would kill me in my house, but I would love to have a few too! I was going to order some from Ideal but they are out so I am trying to find some hatching eggs!

I think breeding season is over now for most of the geese. I knowalot of people on the creigs lists are having babies and adults. Crystal

Quote:
Yeah, thats where I found the Toulouse for $25/ea. Jeez. I only paid $10 for the one I have. I should have bought another, but I don't want white Chinese. The African/Chinese mix I have now I felt bad for because of the wing feather spread to the side.

I have a few Toulouse in the bator so I hope next year I can offer some Toulouse hatching eggs!
big_smile.png

I candled these again tonight. Day 12. I was so intrigued by the movement and the shape that really looked like a duck bill that i tried to photograph the candling of one egg. You can't see all the movement and shapes in the photos but you can see the veins and the outline of the ducking embryo.

This is the same egg in two different positions.

duck1-1.jpg

duck2-1.jpg

How cool is that?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom