Automatic Chicken Coop Door - Auto Closes Coop - Beta Version 1.0

Quote:
You've got to be kidding me. After all the trouble I've had with your customer service already, you really want me to explain in a public forum how bad an experience I've had with you? No, thank you. Sorry, but I'm not a happy customer.
Carol in Oregon (remember me now?)

I just built C.Fabiens Auto Closer with the single timer, double pole/double throw relay and Harbor Freight Cordless Screwdriver. Works great on the workbench. Thanks Chris!!!

Only problem is, Harbor Freight discontinued the Cordless Screwdriver in C.Fabiens tutorial. They have a replacement which has spotlight and a charge level indicator, etc. Which makes it much more complicated inside. I was able to figure out which wire went where, but my head is still spinning.

I found what looks to be the same Cordless Screwdriver as the original Harbor Freight screwdriver at Walmart today. It was $17 amd has a body that will twist from a straight electric screwdriver to more of a angled drill motor look. It as a 3.8v as was the original. I'd try that one if I had it to do over again. I'll take some pics once I get it all set up.

Thanks to everyone for the help and comments. An auto coop door has been my holy grail for years.
Matt

I just spent a couple of hours reading through this thread.

then I searched on youtube, and found some very interesting automatic door openers.

Here are 2:

1 When the ALL chickens get up on the roost, the weight closes the door... but what if one of the chickens is broody and isn't on the roost?

2. This one I like! but I just had my old Subaru junked. I think I could have salvaged some parts!

Last edited:
#1 is great, though the problem you mention is legit and makes me think it is subject to failure.

#2 is awesome. I like the implementation of the light sensor to trigger the window actuator. A solid build.

My dad is a retired electrical engineer, so I'm used to hearing electronic jargon, but that doesn't mean I understand much.
I know one of the concerns people mention is reversablility of a motor. This morning while heating something in the microwave, i realized the turntable reverses direction each time it operates.
I don't know if it would be feasable to use the motor that turns the turntable, but I do know that they would be plentiful and inexpensive.

My dad called today. He made me a automatic chicken door using a car window opener. It opens at dawn and closes at dusk. I will have to make some renovations to my coop to make it work, but the coop needs repair/renovations any way.

I was just searching on youtube again and found another automatic door using a car window opener:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom