Snake attack!!!!!

lvchicken

Songster
8 Years
Feb 1, 2011
Today I found this HUGE GAINT SNAKE IN MY NEST BOXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hide.gif
It ate my fake eggs, golfballs and eggs!!! It freaked the heck out of me! It was like 4 feet long!!!! I ran over and got these roofer guys from my neighbors house, one came over (and of course they barely spoke any English) and walked into my chicken coop and froze. He started shaking all over. My mom stabbed the snake in the body and the roof guy stabbed the head with a shovel. Then two other roof dudes came over and started LAUGHING! Then some how the snake ended up on the ground. Any other snake stories like this???

I personally wondered if I would have trouble with black rat snakes where I now live. I know they are capable of eating eggs and likely smaller chickens/chicks. However, I appreciate them being here because without them the chipmunks and mice would be eyeballs deep. After reading this I suppose I may have to devise a way to keep them out of the coop, no problems yet though! I cannot believe they ate the golf balls too! I am currently in a herpetology class and this should be interesting to share! Hopefully, you won't have any other problems with them cause' they're not too bad to have around. Out of curiosity, has anyone else had a real problem with these snakes? Really interested to know what other incidences any of you may have had.

Does anyone know what kind of snake it could have been? It was black it a bit of a red pattern.

Hi, sorry to here this, at least it didnt kill any of your chickens. It sounds like it could have been a rat snake or worse, a copper head! We have had a rat snake in our barn eat some of our eggs. We also killed it with a shovel

What area of the country are you in? We have black snakes around, some as long or longer than that. I don't mind them, they eat the pests and we have not had them get in the coops yet for eggs. They are very good climbers, we had one actually fall out of a tree when the thin limb it was on broke. It came crashing down and almost landed on DS, as we were in the backyard playing catch at the time. Scared the you-know-what out of DS, the snake was quite stunned for a few moments, then it slowly started moving again and climbed up the next tree. It was crazy, like we were in a rain forest with tree snakes. So sorry to hear about your eggs though. I imagine the golf balls will be tough for the snake to digest.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
I live in Texas. Um, it was black and fat and had a tiny head and had diamond like designs on its back but they weren't filled in just the outline. I wish I could describe it better. Hopefully that is enough. I live out in the country.

Last edited:
If you will go on line and look up snakes in your area you will find it.

I did that last year because I was worried about snakes. The next day I was walking out to the coops in my sandels and a snake ran across my toe. I looked down and saw it and ran for the shovel that was still leaning up against the coop....it ended up with it's head about four inches into the ground....and we have really hard ground full of rocks!!!! I knew instantly what kind of snake it was from looking them up the night before....Copperhead.

I never go into the coop without thinking about it and looking for them now.

And there are shovels and hoes everywhere around the coops!!

Here's a snake story - this guy, or his brother, ate my baby chicks!

31698_p1010435.jpg

ETA - He didn't live much longer than this picture.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom