Difference between HATCHERY RIRs and Production Reds?

rhs7111

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
What is the difference between hatchery (NOT heritage) Rhode Island Reds and Production Reds? Thanks!

A "Production Red" can be anything from a sex-link, to a cross between several red colored breeds to a purebred RIR or New Hampshire. You have to ask the breed or hatchery about their specific birds to know what they were bred from. They could be most anything so long as they are more or less red in color and hopefully lay well.

Some hatcheries put fancy words on it. To me? Any Rhode Island Red from a hatchery is a Production Red.

Why you ask?

Because none meet anywhere near the standard color AND size AND conformation. You may get lucky every now and then but the odds are astronomical at best.

There the same "breed" and a spin off breed of the Rhode Island Red.

The true Production Red (hatchery Rhode Island Red) can come in two different lines, the first of the two was bred solely from the R.I. Red as with the New Hampshire but was bred more for the egg production.
The second type of Production Red is a R.I. Red with some Leghorn blood added to add to the egg production and may have added to the brown-ish color of some of the Production Red that some hatcheries call there, "Dark Rhode Island Reds".

Now there are some hatcheries calling there Rhode Island Red/ New Hampshire cross a "Production Red" and to me there just another hybrid (cross) and not relay a Production Red.
Neither of the two Production Reds lines Rhode Island Red/ New Hampshire cross look, or perform like a true "Heritage" Rhode Island Red.

Chris

Last edited:
Just as said above.
smile.png

Technically they're both the same, as both are bred solely for production, both look the same, both have Rhode Island Red in them, and neither are guaranteed purebred, neither are fitting to the original standard.

Back
Top Bottom