Tomato Sauce....does anyone know how?

Just take a basic ketchup recipe and add garlic, pureed cherries, and smoke favoring to taste. I think we put in worcestershire sauce and a few drops of tabasco.
Cook it to sdesired consistency and smoothout in the food processor.

Can using boiling water bath.
big_smile.png

Terrie you are still holding out on us!! :mad:
wink.png
You taunt us with what you make but aren't forthcoming with the recipes... I guess we'll just have to come up there for a taste test. Don't make us use extortion.
lol.png

Last edited:
Here it is. I had to retype it. THis is straight out of the Better Homes and Gardens "new" Cookbook from the late 50's or early 60's.

Best Tomato Catsup

1-½ tsp whole cloves
1-½ tsp broken stick cinnamon
1 tsp celery seed
1 c white vinegar
8 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 25 medium tomatoes)
1 TBSP chopped onion
¼ tsp red pepper
1 c sugar
4 tsp salt

Measure spices into saucepan. Add vinegar, Cover. Heat to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand while you prepare tomato mixture. (Spices steep in vinegar, just like tea. It’s this separate brewing for spicy flavor that keeps catsup a rich red color)

Peel tomatoes, place in kettle; mash. Add onion and red pepper. Heat to a boil; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Put tomatoes through food mill or a coarse sieve. Add sugar. Heat to a boil; then simmer briskly. Cook till you have only half the amount you began with. (Measure amount now with a ruler so you won’t have to guess later). When mixture looks as if it has cooked own to half, check your guess with a ruler.) It will take 45 to 60 minutes.

Strain vinegar and spice directly into tomato mixture. Discard spices, add salt. Simmer to consistency you like for catsup. Stir frequently. Fill hot sterilized pint jars. Seal and label. Makes 2 pints.

MY notes... I always make at least triple this if I can. I refuse to work this hard for only 2 pints LOL. I always waterbath can it for 15 to 20 minutes as well.

My old boss whose mother was Sicilian always made the best
tomato sauce.

The key to a great tom sauce....cook it for atleast 4 hours.
You wont need sugar if you cook it for a long time.
Its amazing the difference.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom