Just picked up almost 50 hens... A little rough

porkchop48

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Malta, OH
I "rescued" about 50 hens and 2 ( maybe 3 roosters) over the weekend.

They look a litle rough. They seem to be molting.

They were being feed bread and corn and have not had oyster shell or anything like that for 2-3 months now.

I have them on layer crumbles, they got leftovers from our rib dinner last night ( cheese, ribs, salad, baked potatoes, etc)

What can I feed my new found flock to get them back to looking like normal birds :)

MOst seem to have pretty decent body weight, none look deathly skinny.

Now time to get some pics and figure out what they all are :)

Since they probably won't be laying for a while (until they get used to your home and get over the featherless-ness) I would go ahead and worm them. I would also dust them for mites/lice. Get it over with now so they can start healing. I would also maybe invest in some 20% protein chick starter and offer oyster shell free choice. That and plenty of water and a draft-free coop and you should have purty birdies in no time! Good for you for taking them from a bad situation!!
big_smile.png

(I'm sure you know this, but for anyone else reading who doesn't know: the reason for the higher protein starter is that it helps put on weight and increases feather regrowth faster)

BigDaddy'sGurl :

Since they probably won't be laying for a while (until they get used to your home and get over the featherless-ness) I would go ahead and worm them. I would also dust them for mites/lice. Get it over with now so they can start healing. I would also maybe invest in some 20% protein chick starter and offer oyster shell free choice. That and plenty of water and a draft-free coop and you should have purty birdies in no time! Good for you for taking them from a bad situation!!
big_smile.png

(I'm sure you know this, but for anyone else reading who doesn't know: the reason for the higher protein starter is that it helps put on weight and increases feather regrowth faster)

Good advice. Grower would be good, too, or even a bag of game bird feed for a kick start. And the leftovers were a great idea, particularly any meat or bones with a little protein on them.​

with them molting feeding small amounts of cat food would help. Another good tip was mentioned earlier and that would be worming and treating for mites and lice

I have some chick started that I have been mixing with their layer crumbles.

I will be picking up oyster shell tomorrow on my way home from work.

They were in a tiny run with no grass or weeds to pick at. Now they have plenty of tall grass and plenty of weed to pick through.

I also gave them some meal worms and crickets which they gobbled up.

I will try to go get some pics now :)

A couple of them I really really like and would like to know what kinda they are.

Just my thoughts on this,
Hens in molt aren't laying eggs so they don't need the extra calcium from Oyster Shells and I wouldn't offer any till they start to lay, but they do need extra protein and a little extra fat in there diet. (both will help in the regrowth of feathers) so what you could do is put then on *Chick Starter that is mixed Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds* then add a little Cod Liver Oil and Wheat Germ Oil added to the top of there feed also offer plenty of Water.

*Chick Starter that is mixed with Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds should be mixed at the rate of 80 lbs Chick Starter and 20 lbs Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds.*

Also depending on how bad the molt is and how much skin is showing you may not want to let out in the sun to long, they can get sun burned and that will only add to the stress.

Chris

Last edited:
look more like they were pecking each other ,rather than a molt, now they have more room , that should stop. Myself i would feed them a good layer,

Quote:
I agree, they aren't molting, but are a little tattered from pecking at each other. Save for some feathers, they really don't look like they are in that bad of shape.

Back
Top Bottom