Just a little coop progress update.

Quote:
Funny...that is exactly what my DH was telling me!
lau.gif

Hi,

This is a great chicken coop... I am new to this and I am trying to do my homework. Would you leave your chickens in the coop all of the time or will you let them out during the day? did you buy the plans or did you design it yourself?

I am trying to figure out what type of coop to build for my backyard.

Deb

Here is a little update from today. I now have the siding mostly done. The back wall still needs to be sided, but I need one more J strip and still have to prime the back door first. The white primed (wood stain really) will be top-coated with a gloss white once it is all finished, but I want to pick up some trap rock to place around the sides. The splashed mud on the coop is driving me batty!!

The door is giving me issues with it getting stuck and not dropping down when released. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated here! I am afraid to even try priming the wood! Maybe a set of roller bearing drawer slides could be used...

I still have to finish the trim around the upper air vent before I finish off the very top of the siding.

cc-33.jpg

cc-30.jpg

The white J-strip was used at the corners and around doors so it made the painted trim work appear bigger and melt in with that. If you notice, the opening under the coop is edged in some of the yellow to match the siding.
cc-34.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Deb, the girls stay in the "coop" if you are talking about the run too. I do not leave them in the "hen house" but I can not let them free range here. Not only do we have way too many dogs in the area, no fenceing between neighbors, but my wife has well over a hundred varities of day-lilys in gardens all over the yard. So free ranging is out of the question, but that small door under the coop itself (well, the door is not there yet, but where it will be!) was partly put there to set a large tractor against and let the girls out of the coop. I have not yet built the tractor though.

No plans were used, just a basic idea in my head. There are a few changes I would of made, like a better design plan for the run wall studs that would of made fencing much eaiser!

Quote:
Someone else on here (forget who) uses sand in their run. They have the WHITEST chickens I have ever seen.

Might be the way to go for you too.

That is already in the plans, but I want to get the rocks around the outside before I put the sand inside the run itself. I hope that a rather deep bed of rock will shed water better and allow me to build up the sand bed inside the coop. Plus, if the girls scratch the sand out, the rocks will hide it.

Back
Top Bottom