“Baby” rooster

He will climb the pecking order when he finds his balls...so to speak. When the hormones getting a kick start. Basically when he realizes he is a rooster. He might challenge the old rooster or just accept he is second in command. You could just wait it out and see how it turns out. You can always rehome him later on.

It sounds like he's growing out of it. I guess he is. I wonder if that's individual, or if it's genetically connected.
The dad is a beilifelder rooster and he’s a bigger breed. I know they mature a little more slowly, but I know it didn’t take him this long. His mama hen was super protective for a long time. So maybe a little of both.

My two boys slept together at night and preened/cuddled each other for the longest time until the girls finally reached maturity and stopped picking on them. Now they each have a favorite hen that they sleep next to, I'm sure your guy will gain confidence soon!

Does he have any hatch mates his age, or was he an only hatchling? They are extra clingy to the mom if they don't have any siblings, because the rest of the flock pecks them (even if they grew up in the flock) and lacking siblings, the mom is their only friend who'll tolerate them. He'll climb the ladder eventually, but without a micro-flock of peers within the flock, he'll have to do it on his own.

Back
Top Bottom