“Sleepy” the chicken more lethargic than usual

Lindzee

Hatching
Sep 23, 2021
Sleepy has always been lethargic. But she didn’t go in the the coup last night with the other hens opting to hide in our barn instead. Usually they are counted and checked for all 6 girls and our 1 roo. She spends a lot of time in there during the day as well. Constantly falling asleep ever since we were able to distinguish the Buff Orpingtons apart. We just thought she had a condition like narcolepsy or was simply underdeveloped.

Now, she isn’t lifting her head and this morning she seems visibly worse for wear. Still eats but little to no movement. Watery stool. Her comb never turned red and she hasn’t laid any eggs like her fellow hens. I did feel a bulge when checking her crop. She isn’t egg bound. No mites. What can we do to help her?

My husband and I are new to raising chickens. We’ve had them since March. We’ve taken her inside to hopefully nurse her back to health. Here are two pics of her now and one where she is outside, alert and appears to be relatively healthy for comparison. Pleading for help/advice!! Thanks for reading this post.

FB068B61-864F-42B4-8D29-952ECB4233DA.png

DB2EC172-98A2-47CA-949C-97C13373C80C.jpeg
984A5DCB-44C8-43A9-A1A6-ADB6C740540B.jpeg

Last edited:
Age? How old was she when you first noticed she was "sleepy"? Has she started laying yet? If so, how long ago was the last egg?

Your hen is very sick. Since the illness has been coming on gradually rather than suddenly, it may point to an avian virus. What was the source of these chicks when you first got them? Private breeder or hatchery?

Sleepy didn’t make it, unfortunately. I wish there was more I could have done but sadly we didn’t think it was cause for concern until this morning when she was clearly suffering. I feel so guilty that I didn’t get her checked out sooner.

Thanks for replying. I’m grateful at least someone took the time. She had never laid any eggs. Comb was stunted and never gained any color. She was 7 months old. We got her from a hatchery. All of our other hens are lively and healthy. None of them ever bullied Sleepy.

Sorry for your loss. It appeared that her comb had been pecked by the others. Whenever I have a hen on her way out, that can happen. If you still have her body, it can be very informative to open the abdomen to look at organs and do a home necropsy. If you decide to do that, take pictures of what you see, and post pictures for any comments. Also, most state vets will do a necropsy for a small fee to diagnose any illness. Many hens die of reproductive disorders, such as egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and ascites. This is a good video of a vet necropsy that identifies the common abdominal organs:

Back
Top Bottom