⊰• BEYOND THE MOUNTAINS •⊱ A Fantasy/Adventure RP

Alexis shivered, though her cloak kept her warm. She couldn't imagine the lowlands being taken over just like that. And he made it sound like it would take nothing for the vast lowlands to fall. She bit her lower lip in thought then sighed and glanced back to him then to the road again as they walked to Enden What was there that they could say to that, they wouldn't have a defense against the magic of the highlands.

Faolan could feel the tension in the air that his words had caused, and he was regretting telling them, it was way too much way too fast. I should have kept my mouth shut. Hmm, like that has ever been possible, you lose lipped fool. He thought, he was not known for his secret keeping and tact. But he wasn't a bad lier... Faolan swallowed, then looked to Alexis with a slight, reassuring smile, "It would be almost impossible for Gaoithe to fall though, so I'm sure the lowlands will be safe for many years to come." Oh yes, that's reassuring.

Alexis looked back to Faolin and smiled softly. She noticed he was trying to make them feel better, but that was a lot to process in one morning. "Then we will just have to hope and pray that Gaoithe does not fall" She said softly then looked ahead to Enden again.

Piper didn't have anything more to say to Faolan until they reached Enden, about a mile and a half from the riverbank. Its small wooden houses and dirt streets were nothing compared to the kingdom of Gaoithe, which made the humble town look poverty stricken in comparison-- although the residents were generally well kept and comfortable.

"We're here," Piper looked back at Alexis and Faolan. "I'm on the second street, you're both welcome to stay for snacks. I don't have much though... just some snacks." She pushed open a narrow wooden door, revealing a sparsely furnished but cozy looking home.

--

"Just had to deal with a couple of things before I came." Hannes exhaled a deep breath as he faced Walter, but didn't offer any details. "Sorry I'm late."

A few people watched them as they made their way through town, it was obvious that Faolan was not from around there, with his armor, he stuck out like a sore thumb. As they reached Pipers home, he dismounted, a little faster than intended as his right arm gave out, a thickly of blood running from the large gash. "Thank you, Piper, I'll pay you back for all your assistance, and you as well." Faolan replied looking from Piper to Alexis with a thankful smile, and reaching into his pocket to pull out some gold for the two.

---

"Ah, it's no trouble," Walter replied, not expecting a more explanatory response, "We have three more trees to down before we move farther downstream." He informed with a grin, it wasn't like he was above Hannes in position or anything, he was actually somewhat inferior to Hannes. He had only started logging that year, and had worked at his father's forge prior to. But when the forge burnt down the passed winter, Walter had to find other work, so logging was his best option at the time.

Last edited:
Piper quickly put her hand on his arm, preventing him from pulling out any gold while they were standing outside her door. "Not here," her voice was slightly hushed as she looked around to make sure nobody had seen or heard the gesture. There were some folks in Enden who didn't have it as well as others, and some of them she knew would leap at the opportunity to steal whatever Faolan had on him. It would be better if they talked about it inside.

"Please, come inside." She held the door for him. The small house was divided into two rooms, with the main one being accessed from the front door. An elderly woman was seated on a wooden bench beside a glowing hearth of coal from the night's fire. She held two wooden knitting needles in her hand and was working on some kind of garment.

"Piper, you're home early." She squinted as she spoke, not having very good vision. "Who's that you got with you?"

--

"Okay. Let me grab my tools, send some of the men downstream already. It won't take all of us to move those three, they can get started on the next group without us." His ax was leaning up against a stray log, where he had left it the night before. He swung it over his shoulder and began walking toward the small stand of trees that were left to go.

AleAlexis looked at him and smiled, shaking her head as she helped him inside the house. After they were inside she spoke quickly and quietly. " You don't owe me anything. I will talk to my father and see if he has something for you to wear while you are here,. Staying in those clothes will only raise questions " She siid then looked to Pipers grandmother. " Hello, (whatever her name is) I am Alexis O'Shea, the blacksmiths daughter"

Faolan was about to protest Alexis's insistence that he need not reimburse her. But then the elderly woman by the hearth who he, in his exhaust state, had not noticed when first entering the home, spoke. After Alexis responded, he knew it was his turn, but what could he say? My name is Faolan Deon, I am a warrior from a place you know nothing about, where magic is common practice and trolls often raid. No, that won't do. "I'm Faolan Deon, from a neighboring, ah, town." He explained with a warm smile, not wanting to completely lie to the woman but feeling it best not to blab as he had earlier.

---

Walter nodded, "Dean, Jonathan, Meyer, Lennie, Kent, you all stay. The rest of you can go on to the next group." The five men he named continued working, the rest turning and walking to the next stand. Walter let Dean and Lennie take over sawing the log in half, grabbing his ax from beside him, walking over to the remaining trees and starting chopping down one of the three.

Last edited:
AleAlexis looked at him and smiled, shaking her head as she helped him inside the house. After they were inside she spoke quickly and quietly. " You don't owe me anything. I will talk to my father and see if he has something for you to wear while you are here,. Staying in those clothes will only raise questions " She siid then looked to Pipers grandmother. " Hello, (whatever her name is) I am Alexis O'Shea, the blacksmiths daughter"

"Ahhh, Alexis!" The woman smiled warmly, recognizing her by name rather than by sight. "Do come in, both of you... and err' Faolan Deon. Its nearly time for second breakfast, wouldn't you say?"

Piper strode quickly over to her grandmother once the introductions were finished and leaned down to whisper something in the other woman's ear. She looked stressed, perhaps even a bit nervous. Her words weren't loud enough for anyone else to hear, but her grandmother replied loudly: "Oh, yes, he's been asleep all morning."

"Right, uh, Faolan, this is my grandmother, Fern." Piper stood up and gestured to the older woman, looking slightly awkward after Fern had spoken out so loudly after their more private conversation.

Walter nodded, "Dean, Jonathan, Meyer, Lennie, Kent, you all stay. The rest of you can go on to the next group." The five men he named continued working, the rest turning and walking to the next stand. Walter let Dean and Lennie take over sawing the log in half, grabbing his ax from beside him, walking over to the remaining trees and starting chopping down one of the three.

Hannes took the third and last of the stand, a smaller tree in diameter than the others. This won't build many houses... he thought with a frown as he chopped it down. The folks downstream weren't going to be happy with the size of the last batch they had sent down.

Back
Top Bottom