☺ "Comm. black pullet"? (Not Sexlinks!) ✔Photo Update!✔

lol.. Could be, Chickened!
lol.png

Last edited:
If it is a blackstar the cockerels have the white spot and the pullets dont. If it developes barring it is a rooster. If they are strait run pick the ones without the spot for a hen, it could be a barred rock hen androo BRs' look the same as a black sexlink roo.

Last edited:
Thank you Chickened, and everyone, for your replies!
smile.png

Yep, if I had realized that "Comm. Black" likely meant "Commerical black",
aka "Sexlink", I would've gotten a female. Or femaleS, for that matter! lol
I only bought one, not know what they were!
Curiosity always gets me! haha:D

Quote:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but don't you get a black sex link by crossing a barred rock hen with a RIR rooster or new hampshire rooster. If so then that might explain the barred rock pic on the common black pullets sign.

Dekalb "Amberlinks" are from a company named Centurion Poultry. This same company provides the Bovans lines, one of which is a black sex link called the Nera.

Generally hatcheries stick with the same providor for all their commercial lines.

The Amberlink was never a very sucessful strain in the industry.

The Nera is probably the most available black sex link in the US and it is wildly popular in eastern Europe. It has the reputation of being able to perform very well under less than ideal circumstances. The have a "dinosaur look" in their eyes but once you get over that you will find them to be a great bird for backyard circumstances.

The rooster will get the barring a hen will be black with some brown on the neck area.
Quote:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but don't you get a black sex link by crossing a barred rock hen with a RIR rooster or new hampshire rooster. If so then that might explain the barred rock pic on the common black pullets sign.

Back
Top Bottom