➡➡ Kiki Speak

Does this mean you have one but it isn't written down and you just know what to do to make it?
It means that I have made chokecherry jelly. I just use the cherry jelly recipe that comes with the Sure-Jell package.

Oops, I did get a recipe from the Internet.

Chokecherry Jelly
by Dwight Stewart

Prep time: 15 Min Serves: 8 glass jelly jars

Ingredients
4 c. juice 1 box sure jell pectin 5 1/2 c. sugar

Directions
1. Wash berries; put in water to cover by placing hand on top of berries. Bring to a boil; simmer until there is good color and flavor (berries will begin to burst). Strain through cheese cloth. Mix Sure Jell with juice in large saucepan. Bring to boil; stir occasionally (this is a hard boil). At once, add sugar. Bring to rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam. Use scalded jelly glasses.

Last edited:
I have both Canada Red Chokecherries and Yellow Chokecherries.
full

full
I had no idea they came in yellow! How pretty!

I had a heck of a time digging because the sweat kept running off of my glasses and dripping into my eyes. I could just barely see what I was doing.
It sounds like a really frustrating job. I hate digging in sand. Glad you got it fixed, though. Are you on a well, or do you have to pay by the drop for that water?

Here the black ones get cleaned out by the birds one or two days before they are ripe. You can also make a wonderful syrup or wine from them.
We have so many now that not even the birds can eat them all. Everywhere you look chokecherries are growing. Raspberries, too. Probably part all the wet years we've had and part all the dead pines. I never bothered with them before. I'm gonna have to go get some this year, though.

We have so many now that not even the birds can eat them all. Everywhere you look chokecherries are growing. Raspberries, too. Probably part all the wet years we've had and part all the dead pines. I never bothered with them before. I'm gonna have to go get some this year, though.
'Course we've never had an awful lot of birds here... we may be getting more if it keeps raining, though.

Back
Top Bottom