⭐ Kiki's Year Long 🌶️

/facepalm

My bad, I know fish sauce is an accent to many things & somehow had one of my typical dyslexic thought spirals …. And assumed that the roux had some type of fish sauce (and this anchovy) in it…..
No fish sauce in a roux. I could just imagine how it would smell cooking flour in oil with fish sauce. And you're just so happen to be conversating with someone whom actually photographs their roux to show others how perfect it is.

Screenshot_20220707-051314_Gallery.jpg

I mean just look at it. That perfect dark roux color, consistency of melted chocolate and that shine!! Oh my that is gonna make one hell of a pot of gumbo

No fish sauce in a roux. I could just imagine how it would smell cooking flour in oil with fish sauce. And you're just so happen to be conversating with someone whom actually photographs their roux to show others how perfect it is.

View attachment 3176783

I mean just look at it. That perfect dark roux color, consistency of melted chocolate and that shine!! Oh my that is gonna make one hell of a pot of gumbo
That is nice. A masterpiece! I can smell it from here.
Is that a magnalite pot? I'm partial to black iron myself.
Bacon drippings, lard or other? Chicken fat also worked well.

The way gumbo was explained to me, it's like soup, you use what you got. Fish falls apart in soup and is usually fried though.

That is nice. A masterpiece! I can smell it from here.
Is that a magnalite pot? I'm partial to black iron myself.
Bacon drippings, lard or other? Chicken fat also worked well.

The way gumbo was explained to me, it's like soup, you use what you got. Fish falls apart in soup and is usually fried though.
No just butter and flour for like a shrimp etouffe or jambalaya
Oil and flour for gumbo, piquant, beans etc.
I do bacon drippings when I make pepper gravy for biscuits (but I prefer over toast)

That pan I have no idea it was handed down from my mom. She could cook but her profession was a confectionist I remember when I was a kid (she died when I was 15) she would make all kinds of candy and pastries but her gift was wedding cakes and she was a seamstress also known for her christening gowns. I could probably still work a smock gathering machine, anyway
It's not a soup. See the difference is is that it's not a soup lol.
I usually do chicken and sausage. Legs usually or thighs if I'm out to impress
My sister does the seafood with crawfish and crabs
Yeah once the roux is ready I'll stick a handful of the trinity in and the smell is unmistakable. I also have a mini meat tenderizer I smash my garlic with as opposed to my sister who cuts hers up. To me smashing brings out the oils alot better and it starts cooking down faster than slicing

No just butter and flour for like a shrimp etouffe or jambalaya
Oil and flour for gumbo, piquant, beans etc.
I do bacon drippings when I make pepper gravy for biscuits (but I prefer over toast)

That pan I have no idea it was handed down from my mom. She could cook but her profession was a confectionist I remember when I was a kid (she died when I was 15) she would make all kinds of candy and pastries but her gift was wedding cakes and she was a seamstress also known for her christening gowns. I could probably still work a smock gathering machine, anyway
It's not a soup. See the difference is is that it's not a soup lol.
I usually do chicken and sausage. Legs usually or thighs if I'm out to impress
My sister does the seafood with crawfish and crabs
Yeah once the roux is ready I'll stick a handful of the trinity in and the smell is unmistakable. I also have a mini meat tenderizer I smash my garlic with as opposed to my sister who cuts hers up. To me smashing brings out the oils alot better and it starts cooking down faster than slicing
Agree. It's not soup and it's not stew. But I can't explain that to outsiders. ;)

I'll cook a whole chicken on the rotisserie and use the drippings and leftovers for the gumbo. Or boil a chicken for the gumbo if there were no leftovers. Use bone broth after the trinity is incorporated. Smashed garlic all the way. Sounds like you have an extruder for yours. I smash it and forget to extrude it because I like the garlic chunks. Crazy Lady and I fight over them. I share. She doesn't.

Cant find a good sausage. Rabideaux is using MSG and gives me migraines now. Old Man died and son "improved" the recipe. That and Fontenot's boudin has MSG now also. Hard to find good eats. C'est la vie.

Here's to Mom! Good eats and good memories!

Agree. It's not soup and it's not stew. But I can't explain that to outsiders. ;)

I'll cook a whole chicken on the rotisserie and use the drippings and leftovers for the gumbo. Or boil a chicken for the gumbo if there were no leftovers. Use bone broth after the trinity is incorporated. Smashed garlic all the way. Sounds like you have an extruder for yours. I smash it and forget to extrude it because I like the garlic chunks. Crazy Lady and I fight over them. I share. She doesn't.

Cant find a good sausage. Rabideaux is using MSG and gives me migraines now. Old Man died and son "improved" the recipe. That and Fontenot's boudin has MSG now also. Hard to find good eats. C'est la vie.

Double D sausage

Yeah I should have said I boil the chicken parts with Tony chacheres and salt pepper garlic and onion powder etc and use the water for the gumbo base strained

My garlic "extruder"

IMG_20220707_103156.jpg

Another thing sis does is microwave garlic for a few seconds and then rolls if with the palm of her hand to peel it. I just grab each end and twist kinda hard it just pops off. Peeling garlic like you would normally peel something would give me a nervous breakdown

My garlic "extruder"

View attachment 3176995

Another thing sis does is microwave garlic for a few seconds and then rolls if with the palm of her hand to peel it. I just grab each end and twist kinda hard it just pops off. Peeling garlic like you would normally peel something would give me a nervous breakdown
I put the garlic on the cutting board, lay a chef's knife on the side and smash it. QED.

Your tenderizer should work just as good. Do you use the spikes or the flat side?

Back
Top Bottom