🆘SOS🆘 MITES ON DAY OLD CHICKS AND BROODY HENS 😡

how is it going?
Hi! Sorry for the delayed response!! The mommas and babies are doing wonderful! The product that showed immediate results for me was the Sevin dust! I had to do something very quickly because mommas and babies were looking pretty anemic even after giving them cooked red meat and spinach 😔 so I lightly dusted the mommas backs, butts and under wings and as the babies ruffled under the hens they were lightly colored and within 10-20 min all of the mites were lifeless! I was amazed! My local stores didn’t have the Elector and I was nervous about spraying the mommas and babies with a wet substance like mixed Permitherin so I had to think quick and bought what was available at the time. Even though Sevin dust was put on a “do not use for poultry” list in about 2018 I took a risk and thankfully it worked in everyone’s favor!

Yeah whoops! I wasn’t paying attention to the dates. I hope OP got the problem under control and they are all ok!
Hi! Sorry for the delayed response!! The mommas and babies are doing wonderful! The product that showed immediate results for me was the Sevin dust! I had to do something very quickly because mommas and babies were looking pretty anemic even after giving them cooked red meat and spinach 😔 so I lightly dusted the mommas backs, butts and under wings and as the babies ruffled under the hens they were lightly colored and within 10-20 min all of the mites were lifeless! I was amazed! My local stores didn’t have the Elector and I was nervous about spraying the mommas and babies with a wet substance like mixed Permitherin so I had to think quick and bought what was available at the time. Even though Sevin dust was put on a “do not use for poultry” list in about 2018 I took a risk and thankfully it worked in everyone’s favor!

You are correct about Sevin. I think Sevin dust was actually first put on the "do not use for poultry" in 2009 originally, at least according to the Federal Register.

Table 1—Carbaryl Product Registrations Amended to Terminate Uses or Eliminate Certain Application Methods
Effective Date: 04/17/2009
EPA Registration NumberProduct NameUses Being Terminated and/or Application Methods Being Eliminated
239-1349Ortho Sevin® 5 DustPoultry and poultry premises; domestic pets and premises
239-2181Ortho Sevin® Garden DustDomestic Pets and Premises; succulent/fresh beans and peas (subgroup 6B)
Most poultry dust has permethrin. I use it in my nest boxes. Sevin dust is effective in killing existing mites, but must be reapplied for any mite eggs that hatch. Warning, this is a strong insecticide and miticide. Originally when it was approved for use on poultry, there was a 7 day egg withdrawal period and the same for processing birds.

Attachments

• PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 2
  • permethrinDust.jpg
    permethrinDust.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 2
I am in need of help/advice ASAP!! I go to check on my broody Cochin bantam girls yesterday evening to see if their eggs are hatching yet. I reach my hands into their brood box and lift their fluffy rumps up just a tad to look under them and I see two extra little gray feet! I get super excited and gently grab the little one to inspect further in daylight. As I’m retracting my arms I see A MIIIIIILLION tiny crawly specks on my arms and hands and a good bit on the baby chick 😭😭 I quickly placed it back with mom and I jumped so hard into panic mode my shoes came off lol I ran into the house and quickly concocted permethrin spray and my less harmful “Mite-B-Gone” spray (which is vegetable oil, water and dawn dish soap, shook extremely well in a spray bottle). I sprayed a plastic tote with my less harmful spray, placed some hay in it and sprayed that a tad too. Then I placed both the hens, chick and eggs in there so I could deep clean their heavily infested brooder. I spray the hell out of every square INCH of the area with the permethrin spray and burned all the bedding material and even sprayed the area AGAIN lol I still have the moms and eggs in the tote because they are COVERED in the darn crawlers.... the hens are looking a bit anemic so I gave them a bit of molasses, browned beef, and fresh steamed spinach, which helped give some color back to their face and combs. I’m extremely worried for the chick however. It appears to be acting normal but I know those mites will end up killing it if I don’t do something quickly. What can I use as a mite killer that won’t harm the new chick or the soon to be hatchlings?? Is there anything I can put directly on the hens as well as the chick to kill the mites?
Don't find your situation funny I was laughing at you jumping out of ur shoes. Have you got rid of all the mites?!

DE is good to use as preventative. Sprinkle some in with their dust baths! I mixed sand and DE and put it into their tires I use for dust baths in their out door enclosed run.

I'm not sure if Dictomous earth protects against mites... It can be put on chickens directly
I'm not sure if Dictomous earth protects against mites... It can be put on chickens directly
Please do not use diatomaceous earth. It is a known carcinogen in humans and does not kill the insects for days and days. It useless and a waste of money

Back
Top Bottom