šŸ”„ā˜£ļøšŸ’The Sin BinšŸ’ā˜£ļøšŸ”„

Well, both of my boys say we have ghosts at the barn, but ghosts werenā€™t the voice I heard. :lau

What Iā€™m hearing way too much is the man telling all the darn weather alerts. This rain is about to get the best of me. It truly depresses me.
I turned all that stuff OFF as soon as I figured out how. I nearly peed my pants the first time that happened.

I had a boss that used to say better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool... Than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

deb
Boy did I just go down a rabbit hole on that one!

Although many claim that the quote is from Lincoln or Twain, it is more likely by a guy named Switzer whom wrote the original Mother Goose!

It is likely based of one of the biblical proverbs too

Boy did I just go down a rabbit hole on that one!

Although many claim that the quote is from Lincoln or Twain, it is more likely by a guy named Switzer whom wrote the original Mother Goose!

It is likely based of one of the biblical proverbs too
Yep I had heard it was Ben Franklin because he was one of those quoteable kind of guys.

LOL.

deb

I saw this the other day.
lincoln quote_5.jpg

Yep I had heard it was Ben Franklin because he was one of those quoteable kind of guys.

LOL.

deb
He might have said it but there is no evidence of it in the historical record. The same goes for Lincoln and Twain. The first written record was from Mother Goose from about 1907.

My Dad used to quote it too which makes sense since my Grand Pa was born in 1895-- Perfect age for the Mother Book Quotes to be a big thing

@ronott1 Looking at the sources on the Quotes site there is a boat load of people given credit for the saying... But I suspect it started with the biblical proverbs. they have been around the longest.

deb
Yes it was likely based on the proverb but there seems to be a bid difference in the way the proverb goes compared to the current quote. The proverb is more positive while the quote casts a shadow of stupidity on the person that speaks.

The site I looked at found not historical evidence before the 1900s though it might have been only an oral quote and not written down. The people with proof of saying it ware mostly in the 1930. I would suspect it was used in a comedy routine back in the day or a presidential speech or debate.

These things are very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom