1/4 in or 1/2 in?

Chickenp00p

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
Hello there!
I am building my coop and was wondering about the hardware cloth for the actual coop itself.
We are in the mountains and mice are an inevitable part of life here, I was wondering if anyone knows if it'd be worth it to try 1/4 in cloth for the coop to keep them out?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know for sure about mice, but the smaller hardware cloth is made of thinner wire. Large animals can sometimes tear it apart.

You may need to do a double layer of wire: sturdy stuff with big holes (2" by 4" holes is common) to keep out larger animals, and hardware cloth to keep out small ones.

I don't know for sure about mice, but the smaller hardware cloth is made of thinner wire. Large animals can sometimes tear it apart.

You may need to do a double layer of wire: sturdy stuff with big holes (2" by 4" holes is common) to keep out larger animals, and hardware cloth to keep out small ones.
Good to know, thanks!

In the areas where you have your feed cans stored, if it is an enclosed room or shed, you can soak a couple of cotton balls with peppermint oil and stash them around the can and around the room. The smell of the peppermint drives the mice out. We had mice get into our hay storage area two years ago and this trick worked like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom