1/4" vs 1/2" mesh flooring

willow_lane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Pennsylvania
I converted a rubbermade tube into a pen this morning. I used 1/4" mess wire for the flooring thinking that it would be easier on the chicks feet. Is 1/4" still big enough to let the dropping fall into the catch pan? I am using it for chicks until they are around 5 weeks old.

Also is 14" X 20X a big enough tote to hold 16 babies?

thanks

If it were me i would have cut the top out of the box and put the mesh on top and for the first 3 or 4 days i would keep them on paper towls and then moved them to pine shavings then to wire. and after 4 weeks put them on 1/2" wire. but i think the poop will catch on the 1/4" mesh

You didn't say if these chicks are bantam or standard size.

I use a 17" x 34" Sterilite tub (90 quart). I had seven Welsummers in it. By 3 1/2 to 4 weeks, I moved them to a 2' x 4' pen. The tub was needing changing every day, and they were nearly too tall for it.

I also like the longer, narrower shape of this tub. They can move closer or farther from the heat lamp, as they need.

I use 1/2" and they don't have any problems, when you put in the 1/4" it does fall through when tramped on by the birds, but if you are only using it for the newly hatched chicks go with 1/4 adults 1/2.

AL

Back
Top Bottom