1,500 Hy-Line Browns! Should I Get Some?

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Hey all!
Saw a flyer for a poultry auction near me that is selling 1500 Hy-Line browns on the 22nd. Wasn't sure if they where chicks, pullets or full grown hens. Skeptical thinking they may be retied layers form a egg farm, I called and asked. Was told that they where not retired but they where laying. She didnt know where they came from. I have done research and Hy-Lines seem like egg laying machines. Anyone had or have had them? Are they worth giving a try? Whether I bid on some or not still going to go. That is a lot of chickens.

I ran into the same thing but it was 400 of them and they claimed to be 12 months old so I bought 60 for 4 dollars each and got 5 eggs a day for 3 months straight. So I only buy chicks now

I ran into the same thing but it was 400 of them and they claimed to be 12 months old so I bought 60 for 4 dollars each and got 5 eggs a day for 3 months straight. So I only buy chicks now

That is a lot of chickens for very few eggs. That's what I am worried about, that they are old layers. I know with the high laying breeds they don't lay well for long. I only buy chicks or pullets myself. Never adults, you dont know how old they are. Either way it will be interesting to go and see. I think they are being sold in boxes of 5. Im hoping to find out how old they really are. Older than 8 months I dont think it is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom