(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

gatorboy15

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Vero Beach Fl
Yes im new to the chicken world. I own six chickens so far i call them my girls. Ihave 3 rhode island reds and 3 barred rock chicks. There about 2 months old i got them at two weeks old . if anyone could tell me i was wondering how meny water placement should i have in with my chicks? thanks

welcome-byc.gif
That's your choice. Some people like waterers in and outside of the coop. Outside the coop will attract wild birds (sparrows, etc.) that could spread mites and disease but, will keep the coop floor dry. Inside you have chicks fouling the water, kicking litter into it, and splashing it around. Some people use rabbit water bottles and others use a bucket with nipples that the chicks push on and water comes out. Still others prefer hanging waterers that are just off the ground - in hopes of them staying cleaner. Too bad they can't learn to drink with a straw like civilized beings.lol

Thanks for the greeting. I have one 1 gal water placement that's hanging just wasn't sure if they would find it because my coop is closed in with chick wire. It's 17 ft long and 8ft wide. A lot bigger than what I started them in lol. So I was just worried they wouldn't find it

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Nice size coop you have! Wow

Chickens are pretty smart. I dont think they will have a bit of trouble finding the water. Good luck with them

Back
Top Bottom