1 Bantam lethargic, lost 1 already UPDATE: Wormed + new pictures

Bantamfarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
Morenci, MI
we are in dire need of some help.

We have already lost 1 Bantam and now her sister is acting up! Have done a lot of research, but seems like its pointing to a few things... Egg Perinotnitis, Egg binding, or worms.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Millie Fleur Bantam
around 6-7 months old (picked up from TSC in April as chicks) Has NOT layed eggs yet that we know of
Not for sure of weight, but she has def. lost weight. 1-2 lbs?

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Started yesterday, was just kinda sitting around. Not being social. Acting like she was really tired. This morning was sitting on the roost, didn't leave with the others when we let them out. Also she is usually not wanting us to pick her up, but let us right away and didn't put up a fight. Breathing heavy, but not panting all the time. Started panting when we brought her into house, last for about 5 minutes and stopped. (figured she was to warm!)
Also, not sure if this is common but her eyes where dilating in and out.
Brought her in, got some food in her and water, comb is brighter red than when she first came in, and seems in better spirits, but still not right. tried feeling for an egg, but she is pretty thin and we have never done this before.

This happened to her sister once, she was sick acting for a day and then it went away. And then about a month later, happened to her again and we ended up loosing her.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
NA

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Not sure

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She doesn't feel like she has been eating all that much. She seems really light. But, have her in the house, eating laying mash and drinking water. Does it all on her own now, kinda forced her in the beginning.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal brown and green with a yellow liquid (bright yellow, like a yolk) or just the yellow

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Just TLC, a warm box and food and water

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Ourselves if we can.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
None

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
10 x 8 with shavings and shredded paper for laying.

Any help would be awesome. Don't want her to suffer. Does it sounds more like one thing than another?!

***update*** Have her sitting in warm water to try this method... Also too a picture of her fecal matter. Yellow with brown rice shaped things... its rather strange

***Update*** been sitting in water for almost half an hour... no mood change.

***Update*** out of the water, palpated and seems like there is something back there (egg?) tried to catch her other sister and had no luck to compare. Will compare tonight. Sitting ruffled under a heat lamp in a cardboard box. Also adding a picture of her feces.
3956140615_4bae7c5a04.jpg

Last edited:
No they have not been. Can worms cause all this discomfort?! I haven't seen any signs of them being expelled from the chickens body...

We clean the coop every few days and there are smaller bantams than this one. Her and her sister are the only ones to show these signs.

Have old english brassbacks (atleast we think
smile.png
and a seabrights that are smaller than these two. And we also have bigger chickens (same age) they called them straight runs at TSC and they have been laying eggs for months. Unlike the bantams.

Last edited:
Okay... let me put the disclaimer first that I am by no means an expert. I'm just trying to keep this thread bumped without actually breaking rules. Hopefully, someone with more experience will jump in.
fl.gif

I compared the picture you put up of her droppings and looked at this link:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

To me, her droppings look a lot like the one where they thought it was worms and/or egg peritonitis. That bird was around the same age as yours.

What to the others droppings look like? Could it be mites or lice? Have you checked her vent area for them? From what I understand is that worms can drain a chicken and explain why she is lethargic and skinny.

I guess I'm saying in my non-expert opinion is that you are right about the diagnosis. It might not hurt to worm your flock, but if no one else is showing any signs, it could be something genetic with the bantams. Sorry, I can't be more help. In the meantime, she needs to keep up her strength to fight whatever she is dealing with. Maybe some yogurt or other kind of probiotic.

Check out these links and also try the google search function on BYC. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2198684

picked up some Wazine, going to try that first. She hasn't been laying eggs and her abdomen is not swollen so I am hoping for worms and not peritonitis.

Also bought her some electrolytes. She is looking better as far as personality and demeanor. Still lethargic, but hopeful.

Going to see if I can perk her more before worming her... It said on the bottle she needs to be stronger?! Give the electrolytes some time...

Also the Wazine said it cannot be used on chickens who produce eggs for consumption?! We eat the eggs, so... I read that they eggs are just not edible for ten days... Any thoughts?! Plus we are getting about 2 dozen eggs a day, and with 16 dz in the fridge, we could stand to not have eggs for a while
smile.png

Glad to hear she's doing a little better, is she still eating? I'd agree, she's got to get strength back before you try the wormer. It's got to be quite a shock on the digestive system, especially if there is a high worm load. It's good you have her on an electrolyte. We have some baby bird formula we got at the pet store that we keep on hand when a sick bird needs a pick me up, ours go nuts for it. I mix some layer pellets in with it. If you look around BYC you'll find other recommendations.

I've heard that you shouldn't eat the eggs for ten days. Lots of people recommend giving the eggs to dogs, but that's a lot of eggs!
ep.gif

Remember that after you worm you have to get the good gut flora back by feeding them some yogurt. We give ours yogurt once a week. It's probably their favorite food.

Like I said, I'm no expert. Once the weekend is over, I hope someone else with more experience jumps in. I really do hope that it is just worms, she seems so young. Please keep me updated. Your little bantam will be in my thoughts.
hugs.gif

Thank you so much for all your help!

I checked her this morning and she was making her little noises, which tells me she is feeling loads better.

Still eating and drinking on her own, a whole day of it!!! But as of yesterday she seemed pretty tired still. This morning she was wide awake and kinda shying away from me, which is good! Still doesn't want to move... We keep her in a litter pan with a rolled up towel for a perch and its all open and she sat around and watched NASCAR with us, the dog, and the cats. She is quickly becoming more than just a pet, but a family member!

I thought I read that you had to not eat the eggs for ten days... but the bottle CLEARLY states do not. So we will go a head an worm. Will also give yogurt to help boost everything back up!

If anyone one else has more insight, we would love to hear it, but as of now, we are moving forward with worming, and electroytes.

I'm glad to hear she is feeling better and eating/drinking/perking up.

It's amazing how they turn into family members. We have one that has been in since Labor Day weekend with a horrible sprain or a broken leg - we couldn't find the source of a break. It's going to be hard to put her back with her friends when she's at that point, but I know she needs to. Besides she's too bossy to be an only chicken.
tongue.png

I really do hope she gets better and it's just worms.

7725_517415654046_132501818_30837669_7421017_n.jpg

this is our Clemmie (Calamity Jane) taking a rest. She just sits, and doesn't try to get out

well I hope your chicken also makes a full recovery!

We noticed one of our chickens is limping as well. Foot looks fine, but I noticed they are really getting friendly with the horses... I hope that she did not get stepped on!!!

Also... I have a question for all... All of the chickens seem to have a bump on their necks/chest/left side... And looking at the anatomy, I feel that its possibly the crop. Is that something that you can feel?!

(to the crop question) I was very interested so I researched and hers is filling and emptying so I have no need to worry about that
smile.png

WHo knew chickens where such complicated creatures! When you think chickens, you think laid back pets who also benefit us with eggs! I never thought they would have to be cared for like household pets
smile.png
But we are willing to do anything for them!

Last edited:
She's a cutie!!
love.gif

As for the lump thing, my bet is that it's the crop. When ours were a week old we thought one of the ladies had a tumor (as it was a hard lump as you described) I was on the verge of tears because she was our favorite. Researched on BYC and figured out it was probably the crop. Sure enough, the next morning it was gone.

I'd just check them in the morning when their crop should be empty.

Yeah - I didn't think horses and chickens would be a problem UNTIL my gelding tried to squash our chicken. He tried to strike at her in midair. Needless to say I keep the chickens away now.
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom