1 Brood Across 2 Brooders

Vadard

Songster
Sep 6, 2019
Gulf Coast
Howdy.

I've always brooded all of my birds together, but I'm thinking about trying something different this spring. I've got about 30 chicks coming in April, and I'm debating building a brooder stack (something like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/has-anyone-make-a-stacking-brooder-box.532678/).

Here's my question: I always figure 1 sf per chick so I don't have to move them around much for the first month or so. To provide that much space for 30 chicks, I'll need a 3 brooder stack in order for it to fit in the best spot in my barn. If I do this and split the chicks up over 3 brooders, will it cause problems when I put them all back together in the coop? I'm wondering if if the little brooder gangs will fight more?

My other option is to rehab a 3' x 10' grow out pen I built a few years ago. It could be retrofitted to be a brooder, and I could keep it under a lean-to off the back of the barn. The upside is that it's plenty big enough and is secure once I spruce it up. The downside is that the climate is less controlled. I'm in a hot climate, and it will be warm here in April.

I'd appreciate any wisdom y'all can share.

Thanks,
Vadard

Howdy.

I've always brooded all of my birds together, but I'm thinking about trying something different this spring. I've got about 30 chicks coming in April, and I'm debating building a brooder stack (something like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/has-anyone-make-a-stacking-brooder-box.532678/).

Here's my question: I always figure 1 sf per chick so I don't have to move them around much for the first month or so. To provide that much space for 30 chicks, I'll need a 3 brooder stack in order for it to fit in the best spot in my barn. If I do this and split the chicks up over 3 brooders, will it cause problems when I put them all back together in the coop? I'm wondering if if the little brooder gangs will fight more?

My other option is to rehab a 3' x 10' grow out pen I built a few years ago. It could be retrofitted to be a brooder, and I could keep it under a lean-to off the back of the barn. The upside is that it's plenty big enough and is secure once I spruce it up. The downside is that the climate is less controlled. I'm in a hot climate, and it will be warm here in April.

I'd appreciate any wisdom y'all can share.

Thanks,
Vadard
I have brooded birds separately and haven't had any problems combining them as long as they're still young. You can always rehab the grow out pen for when they are feathered out so you don't need to worry too much about temps.

Back
Top Bottom