1 broody warren hen

Hi again, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping them separate when she gets off to stretch until after the fuzz balls arrive.

I'd have the run finished before they are due to hatch. My clutch outside came 2 days early.

I have an old parrot cage I converted into a little run. I did little more than tip it on its side and provided shade. Something with sides the littleies can't fit through to avoid them getting separated from mum where she can't protect them. This is for during the day because their feet are on the ground and they can have a scratch.

It's not only other chooks you need to worry about. I thought my mini coop was secure but I lost one over night. It just disappeared. Mum was very distraught when i checked her this morning. Tonight they and mum will be sleeping inside.

Arrrr sorry to here.ive left cage door open and think thy are due 1st week of may ill build a little run attached to hutch so she and little chicks can have a run out and so that other hen dosnt come near her hope this is going work as dont want to lose any of my hens or eggs

Hi yes she hatched all 6 they are 1 week old 2day and doing fine they grow quick dont they,just need to find out now when to take them off chick crumb and put on pellets or what ever they need an is mother hen ok on chick crumb still thanks how's your flock doing

Hi yes she hatched all 6 they are 1 week old 2day and doing fine they grow quick dont they,just need to find out now when to take them off chick crumb and put on pellets or what ever they need an is mother hen ok on chick crumb still thanks how's your flock doing

Congratulations, that is great. I hope you post some pics. Mums work hard don't they. Did you need to worry about your other hen?

Yes they grow and learn fast. Mine run up and down the fence of their tiny run and scream for treats when the see me.

Where are you? What is your weather? Do you have a set up where the mum is free to raise them naturally? It makes it easier if she does all the work.

There is a "Raising baby chicks" forum that will have all you need to know about feeding and caring for them. I don't worry about it though because my hen is proving to be a wonderful mother and is teaching them well. During the day they are in a mini run contacting the ground under a tree which I move to a new spot every day, partly over both grass and rich dirt, so they get feed, scraps and scratch up their own tasty morsels. At night I bring them inside since I lost that one. At bed time, I put a dog carry crate at the run opening and Mum walks in with babies behind her.

I think chick starters vary for age suitability and you'll have to check yours. I think it's important when they hatch. When my starter runs out I'm not buying more. Currently I give them chick starter and Harriet (Mum) a grain and mash suitable for Layers and pre layers. The babies started eating that and kitchen scraps straight away. They love watermelon.

I caught Harriet some grasshoppers the other day and held them through the fence for her. She grabbed each one gave it a crunch so it couldn't get away but could still move, then dropped it for the babies. They fought over them like mad. Everything is for her babies.

When they were a week old I was clean out the coop I had them in when they hatched. It is in the main run. I got distracted and turned around to see Harriet escape and each baby jump the foot to the ground in pursuit. They had a ball while I panicked about crows. In seconds they were fighting over an earth worm.

The other hens were fine with them. The Silkie was particularly interested. Harriet is a gentle hen but the top of the flock. I think that plays a part in how well the babies are accepted by the flock. Not one looked like doing them any harm. When I tried to catch them to put them back the babies even ran and stood under different hens for protection as they scattered to get away.

I'm testing different theories on sexing them now. At worst I think I have three female and two male.

I've gone long again. Sorry about that.

This is when they escaped.

This is them this morning. I have them in an old parrot cage with one side cut out and tipped on its side. Mum has decided to moult going into winter.

[/IMG]

Hi all my baby chicks are all arrived
I was wondering when I can seprate the chicks from there mum
And mother hen is losing feathers on back they will all live togeather when they are old enough not sure on when to
Say they can call live togeather I get them out of pen for 1 hour aday with other hen

Hi all my baby chicks are all arrived
I was wondering when I can seprate the chicks from there mum
And mother hen is losing feathers on back they will all live togeather when they are old enough not sure on when to
Say they can call live togeather I get them out of pen for 1 hour aday with other hen

They often moult after hatching eggs. My hen did this time too. Why do you need to separate them now if you are going to let them live together. I am asking because if there is a problem it may be less work to solve it.

Hi she just sat on them and helped them to hatch they arnt hers.mother is desperate to come out of run and play and scratch in garden but baby's are little small yet as I have 3 cats she is procese of her babies but I don't want cats hurting them so I stay out with them for 1 hour a day to let them have a run around and mix with my other warren they seem to love it they do get a couple of arguing but all seems fine just not sure how big they are going to get as they are mixed breeds,please can some 1 point me in the right direction thankyou all for the comments before about this I'm new to raising chicks

Hi she just sat on them and helped them to hatch they arnt hers.mother is desperate to come out of run and play and scratch in garden but baby's are little small yet as I have 3 cats she is procese of her babies but I don't want cats hurting them so I stay out with them for 1 hour a day to let them have a run around and mix with my other warren they seem to love it they do get a couple of arguing but all seems fine just not sure how big they are going to get as they are mixed breeds,please can some 1 point me in the right direction thankyou all for the comments before about this I'm new to raising chicks

Hi, it's sometimes hard to know what's best for your pets.

You can put a search in raising chicks here on BYC and you'll find lots of threads about what to do.

If you separate them from her to give her a range she will get stressed and try to get back to them. She is their mum if she laid the eggs or not. She knows no difference. It would also depend on your climate how the chicks would go without her for any period of time.

If you take them from her long term you will have to reintroduce them as adolescents and keep them in a brooder which is a lot of work. You would still have to keep the cats away.

Good luck with what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom