1 chick hatch and died. Mom moved off the rest!?

Rel13

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2021
I posted yesterday about moving a broody hen and her eggs.
we were off yesterday was day 21 on egg 1. At 12:30 she was on the eggs. At 3:30 I found her moved over a nesting box and Easter egger in her box. The eggs were cold to touch and there was a chick.
I removed the chick and egg and put the remaining 3 eggs back under her. She would not return to the original box but accepted the eggs back.
with that we moved her last night with the remaining eggs. She immensely collected everyone and pulled them
Back in under her and settled in. I caught her rearranging them under her this morning. Is there any change the remaining eggs will survive ? They are all due to hatch by weeks end. I’d guess tomorrow on one and Wednesday the other #3 im not sure it was a transplant.
I hope the pic of when I found her off the eggs is okay. :(
The other is her settled in her new space. 1262DB6B-A124-4E40-8FD0-6F23BC312E20.png 15E969E0-DA06-4218-BDDB-705A12779C9C.jpeg

we were off yesterday was day 21 on egg 1. At 12:30 she was on the eggs. At 3:30 I found her moved over a nesting box and Easter egger in her box. The eggs were cold to touch and there was a chick.
I removed the chick and egg and put the remaining 3 eggs back under her. She would not return to the original box but accepted the eggs back.
with that we moved her last night with the remaining eggs. She immensely collected everyone and pulled them
Back in under her and settled in. I caught her rearranging them under her this morning. Is there any change the remaining eggs will survive ? They are all due to hatch by weeks end. I’d guess tomorrow on one and Wednesday the other #3 im not sure it was a transplant.
The other is her settled in her new space. View attachment 2530588View attachment 2530589
Such is the risk of moving a broody hen after they have started incubating. It's best to move them first and get the to graft to the correct nest site and then give them their clutch of marked fertile eggs all at once.
You wrote she pulled additional eggs under her and the the original eggs aren't due to hatch until the end of the week. Have you removed the additional eggs she pulled under her?
It is a bad idea to set eggs for a staggered hatch. It is common for the hen to abandon any eggs that don't hatch within a day of the first chick hatching.

Such is the risk of moving a broody hen after they have started incubating. It's best to move them first and get the to graft to the correct nest site and then give them their clutch of marked fertile eggs all at once.
You wrote she pulled additional eggs under her and the the original eggs aren't due to hatch until the end of the week. Have you removed the additional eggs she pulled under her?
It is a bad idea to set eggs for a staggered hatch. It is common for the hen to abandon any eggs that don't hatch within a day of the first chick hatching.
No I think you mis understand. We did not move her until after she moved off the nest. I found her in the nesting box next to the one she has been in for 3 wks. She had 4 eggs. 3 were cold and 1 was hatched and dead. That was at 3:30... because that happened we decided just to go and move her... thinking that maybe it was another hen that bothered her.
we brought her eggs with her and settled her in the new box. She immediately pulled the eggs under her and settled in. She is fine this am, took a poop and water break and settled back on the remaining 3 eggs.
My question is I’m not sure how long she abandoned the original nest and eggs. Do we think it was too long and they all got too cold. At max it was 3 hrs.

The other is her settled in her new space. View attachment 2530588View attachment 2530589
12:30
She was fine and sitting on eggs ... 3:30 I found her as seen in pic two. At 9:30 that night we moved her inside with the reminding 3 eggs

No I think you mis understand. We did not move her until after she moved off the nest. I found her in the nesting box next to the one she has been in for 3 wks. She had 4 eggs. 3 were cold and 1 was hatched and dead. That was at 3:30... because that happened we decided just to go and move her... thinking that maybe it was another hen that bothered her.
we brought her eggs with her and settled her in the new box. She immediately pulled the eggs under her and settled in. She is fine this am, took a poop and water break and settled back on the remaining 3 eggs.
My question is I’m not sure how long she abandoned the original nest and eggs. Do we think it was too long and they all got too cold. At max it was 3 hrs.
They might hatch. Leave her be and hopefully she stays put.
Why do you expect one egg to hatch tomorrow but the other to hatch on Wednesday?

Update!!!!
🤞🏻🤞🏻chick number #2 is hatching as of this morning!!! Very loud under mama!!
doesn’t seem like I can post a video :)

Back
Top Bottom