1 Chick if Feather Picking!!-Update

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

My favorite silkie chick has developed an annoying habit. It started when he started eating the downy old feather tips off of my ameraucanas new feathers. No big deal, he's not doing any damage, and the ameraucana don't seem to mind. Well now he's doing it to several of my other chicks. He's not causing any damage, but I don't want this to turn into a permanent habit. How can I get him to stop? [​IMG] Brooder temp isn't too high, there's plenty of food, I don't get it!!

Thanks, Sonja

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    Do you have a red light in the brooder. Some say that will help. They aren't over crowded are they? Just a few things I thought of.

Sheila

3. mylilchix

Yep, got the red light, and I have a 2"x5" brooder for 23 chicks. I think he just likes to peck at the flecks and fuzz on other chicks.

4. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    I would say they definately have enough room and the red light will help. I really don't know what else to do, I am just glad that it isn't causeing any damage

Sheila

5. mylilchix

Me too!! It's probably bugging me more than anything else. I just don't want this to become a habit that carries over into adulthood. Problem children [​IMG]!!

Sonja

6. mylilchix

Ok, my favorite silkie chick is still at it!! This time it may have drawn blood. I discovered the back side of my golden sex link was all bloody. She's been removed, but I don't know what to do with my silkie. The brooder has a red lamp, there is enough space, I'm at a loss here. The picking started so innocently now it's become a habit. Is there a cure?
    Thanks,
    Sonja

7. scullybird

scullybird Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Corvallis, OR
    My 5 1/2 week old white leghorn does that. I posted about it yesterday, and was told it can turn into more aggressive pecking, and she should be separated. So, I've partitioned off the kennel they're in, to seperate her from the rest. She can still see, hear, smell the others, but can't reach her head thru to peck at them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by