1 Chick if Feather Picking!!-Update

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
My favorite silkie chick has developed an annoying habit. It started when he started eating the downy old feather tips off of my ameraucanas new feathers. No big deal, he's not doing any damage, and the ameraucana don't seem to mind. Well now he's doing it to several of my other chicks. He's not causing any damage, but I don't want this to turn into a permanent habit. How can I get him to stop?
barnie.gif
Brooder temp isn't too high, there's plenty of food, I don't get it!!

Thanks, Sonja

Last edited:
Me too!! It's probably bugging me more than anything else. I just don't want this to become a habit that carries over into adulthood. Problem children
wink.png
!!

Sonja

Ok, my favorite silkie chick is still at it!! This time it may have drawn blood. I discovered the back side of my golden sex link was all bloody. She's been removed, but I don't know what to do with my silkie. The brooder has a red lamp, there is enough space, I'm at a loss here. The picking started so innocently now it's become a habit. Is there a cure?
Thanks,
Sonja

My 5 1/2 week old white leghorn does that. I posted about it yesterday, and was told it can turn into more aggressive pecking, and she should be separated. So, I've partitioned off the kennel they're in, to seperate her from the rest. She can still see, hear, smell the others, but can't reach her head thru to peck at them.

Back
Top Bottom