1 chick of 5 not feathered out, what to move outside

Penguingirl216

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2023
Hi, I’m new to the forum and to chickens! I have 5 chicks that are a few days over 6 weeks old now. All are different breeds. I want to move them outside as I think they need more space and most are fully feathered. I do have one though, the Wyandotte that still has some down and baldish patches (?). I’ve read wyandottes can take longer to feather. They’ve been in a temperature stable environment 65-75 degrees and then also have a heat plate though I haven’t seen them under it in weeks. It’s summer in Seattle so nighttime lows are 55. It’s probably somewhat warmer in the coop, maybe 60. Would it be ok to move them outside though the one is still getting her feathers in? See pictures of the white Colombian Wyandotte versus a few of my other fully feathered chickens. Thank you!
IMG_1732.jpeg
IMG_1729.jpeg
IMG_1726.jpeg
IMG_1730.jpeg

Hello!

Yep, I think that your chicks will be just fine if you move them all outdoors! 60 degrees shouldn’t be too cold, especially if they are mostly feathered, plus they can huddle together to keep warm. Cooler temperatures also help them to feather out faster, so moving them would probably be the best option!

They need to be outside in the sun/natural light for healthy development of their bone structure. They will be fine.

Your Wyandotte is a male, they often carry the gene for slow feather development.

Thanks everyone! If it’s actually more like 55 in the coop (tested temps last night) probably ok still? What’s the lowest without supplemental heat? Also I hope the Wyandotte isn’t male! Thanks!
IMG_1725.jpeg

Thanks everyone! If it’s actually more like 55 in the coop (tested temps last night) probably ok still? What’s the lowest without supplemental heat? Also I hope the Wyandotte isn’t male! Thanks! View attachment 3571619
I have my 3 week olds out in nighttime 65 degree weather in NY, and they are absolutely fine. I usually move them out at 4 weeks in the summer. Yours are WAY more feathered than mine. They will be fine! 😊

They need to be outside in the sun/natural light for healthy development of their bone structure. They will be fine.

Your Wyandotte is a male, they often carry the gene for slow feather development.
I hope it’s not male! Any other signs I can look for? Where the waddle will be doesn’t look very red

Back
Top Bottom