1 day old duckling broken leg

Can the little one move its toes at all?? I am just thinking about what might happen once the ducklings leg is strapped in the correct position. It may still not open out its foot properly- I can see that the leg is kind of twisted the wrong way. If the duckling doesnt open out the foot- you can help with that by sticking something on its feet to keep the toes and webbing extended. I have used sticky foam pads for human feet in the past with success.

The hock looks pretty normal to me- is it the hip that feels different?? By the rotation in the leg- thats where the break/ dislocation is most likely.

Hi
We also had a Cayuga baby with a broken leg. Here's what I did.
For a splint, I got one of those big fat straws that McDonalds gives for milkshakes. I cut it into a piece a little bit longer than the broken bone. I then split the piece lengthwise so it could be fit around the leg. Before placing it on the leg, I folded the two ends of the straw backward so the length was right and also so the sharp ends wouldn't dig into her skin. I had to experiment before getting it just right.
Finally I wrapped it loosely yet securely with a soft string that I could adjust as needed.
My duck also had a swollen and inflamed leg. However, I was lucky to be on Amoxicillin (antibiotic) at the time for strep throat. Twice a day I scraped off a tiny bit and mixed it with her drinking water. She didn't like the taste at all but took it anyway. In about a week the swelling went down and eventually the leg healed. The bone was not perfect and had an obvious knot, but she could use it.

And by the way, I realize that most folks don't have antibiotics laying around, and I'm a big advocate of not misusing them or any other medication. It was just a situation that presented itself and we were lucky that it worked.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom