1 day old duckling broken leg

angstevenadrian

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
We just had 10 ducklings hatch yesterday - the drake got in and killed 2 - almost another one. I found him outside laying on the ground by the other 2 dead ones, and he looked dead until I picked him up and saw his eye blink. I took him in and got him feeling better - he went from looking like he was dead to today looking spunky & like he's going to make it. The problem is, he can't move one of his legs. It just dangles all limp like... It doesn't seem to hurt him - you can move it without him cheeping about it. I have read about splinting but nothing I have read really made it obvious enough for me to do it correctly. Any help? Thanks!

Wow this is a tricky one. I would use something stiff but slightly flexible, and sister it along the leg from about a half inch below the belly. Have you carefully examined the upper part of the leg? It may be out of joint. That would be really tricky. I am inexperienced with splinting but want to give you some ideas that may help you search for better information.

What I envision is something like a stiff flexy foam sleeve that you could wrap around the leg, not too tight for circulation. The leg may not heal, but many ducks make it okay for a long time with a bum leg. They adapt.

A quiet place for a while would be good, so no one jostles him. But perhaps just a section of the main brooding area, separated by plastic poultry fence, so they can all see each other and sit next to each other.

As always, I recommend vitamins/probiotics/electrolytes for support.
hugs.gif

Thanks for the advice! I think I've seen some foam"ish" tubing with a split all the way down one side... maybe that would work... Should I tape it up or leave it dangling?? I'm having a bit of a hard time envisioning it. By the way, he's doing really well just scooting along with his one good leg. That sweet little ducky is determined to make it.
smile.png

The bones of a newly hatched duckling are very soft- and easily broken- but it could also just be dislocated. If moving the leg doesnt seem to hurt him much- can you try to feel up the bad leg in comparison to the good one- right up to the hip?? If its broken the bone may mend and he could go on to live a fairly normal life- but if it is dislocated it needs to be fixed fast if if he to have any chance at being able to use the leg properly- but something like that is painfull- and could cause shock and death to such a tiny baby.

Alternatively if the little one cant be fixed.... caring for a special needs duck can be very rewarding too. I have had may over the years with leg issues maening they couldnt walk. In many cases they can still live fairly normal lives. They learn to adapt- but keeping them safe from predators is a major issue.

Exactly what Oz said, I have a special needs girl who was born with a birth defect, she hops and swims on one leg, the other leg was born up. Here she is, she gives the ultimate meaning to the word Perserverence.
66568_img00339-20100905-1921.jpg

66568_img00330-20100905-1908_2.jpg

And as I said, she even is a momma on 1 leg.
66568_img00500-20100930-1052_2.jpg

And such an absolute lover
66568_img00966-20101126-0900.jpg

66568_img00379-20100612-1022.jpg

Thanks for your input everyone! I'll try and see if I can tell where the problem is... I didn't really want to mess with it too much and chance hurting it worse, but I guess I kind of need to know... I'll post what I find out & maybe a picture of little "rescue baby" too.
smile.png

My week old cayuga broke his leg and i tryed my best to set it. Eventutally that leg died and it fell off
sickbyc.gif
anyways he was my favorit duck! went everywhere all the other ducks when. HE didnt really get to his adulthood, he still had down like a baby. sadly my dad forgot him outside and something got him
sad.png
So your duck could have a good life!

I was kind of worried about that happening - with its leg falling off or something.. or if it got infected...
So I felt his leg and it feels like the joint is bigger than the other side -maybe it's inflamed.
GEDC0030.jpg

GEDC0028.jpg

GEDC0031.jpg

GEDC0034.jpg

GEDC0033.jpg

I would position his leg into it's proper position and use vetwrap to keep it in place. You can get vetwrap from a vet or possibly TSC or some other pet supply store. Keep the vetwrap on for at least a week and don't let him swim. Make sure the wrap is not too tight. If you can keep him seperate from the others that would be best. Only remove the wrap if it is dirty or wrap. After a week, check it and put another one on. I would do this for at least 3 weeks and them see how he can use his leg. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom