1 day old Duckling has....

PAchickenlover

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
York
Hello, I have a one day old duckling here that had splayed legs. Now I have made hobbles out of bandaids and the duckling is finally learning to walk. My question is how long should the hobbles stay on his legs? Also how much water should the baby duckling be takeing in at this point? Any information will be appreciated...
Thanks,
Mollie

Being so young- it may only take a day or two in hobbles to correct the little ones legs. How much water? its kind of like the question how long is a piece of string, as apart from drinking- they do like to play init a bit as well. Just be carefull what you give it water in- as with the hobbles restricting movement it could fall into an open container and not be able to get out on its own. Goog luck with the little one. I hope its running around normally soon.

Thanks as of right now I have a chicken waterer in there so he can't really getin to it too well. I was also worried about the hobbles and water that is why I didn't give it a shallow dish yet. It doesn't quite have its balance yet. I guess I will keep the hobbles on till tomorro night just to make sure that his legs are strong enough in the correct position. I also have 5 chicken eggs in my brooder right now... the momma hen abandoned the eggs on the last day or two of incubation. I have one chick hatching right now. So the temp should be ok in there for both duckling and chicks... I have a ragular light bulb in my heat lamp and I have it directed right over the chicken eggs. The duckling can get under it when ever it needs or wants to. lets see did I cover every thing....? Please let me know if I should do any thing else...
Thanks,
Mollie

Wow wish I would have known some of that information a while ago when my Red was still around.. I had no idea about hickens needing vit B so much. Thank you for shareing that! Miss Lydia Now I know for future reference...

Back
Top Bottom