1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 day old with 3 weeks old?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RichardK, Jun 20, 2016.

1. RichardK

RichardK Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    yesterday i picked up 5 silkies (such cool birds!) there are two 3 week old, two week old, and one just two days old. when I got them they were all together, but last night I kept the 3 weekers seperate. do you think this is necessary as they may suffocate the younger ones while sleeping? or is it possibly a bad idea because they may grow apart and make things worse in the future?

I plan on introducing them to my, now, 5 week old buff orpintons slowly, and when they are big enough to net escape the coop have them all together constantly

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When you are planning on having chicks be part of a single flock, even if it involves older chicks of different ages and adult chickens, it's most advantageous to raise them all alongside one another.

I like to rig up a brooding pen in the run (protected from the elements) so the chicks have the advantage of observing the adults while they grow, and the chicks are acceoted into the flock right from day one.

As for the risk of the older chicks smothering the very new chick, if you have plenty of room in the brooder, it's less likely. It also helps to brood under the heating pad system instead of heat lamp with chicks of different ages. They are more able to adjust their heat needs.

Read about the heating pad system on Blooie's thread on this forum, and brooding outdoors by clicking my link located below this post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by