1 dead 3 injured

My girls slept up in their coop last night without a problem, but tonight they were very agitated, vocalizing and pacing and they wouldn't go up into the roost area, and stay there. I finally had to put them in the storage box I used for a brooder and brought them into the house, once I got them into the box and started carrying them into the house they settled right down and went to sleep. Any thoughts?

They must have had another weasel visit and reacted accordingly.

I learned the hard way never to force them into the coop when they obviously fear to get in, but take a good look instead. Here is what I found inside in more than 20 years of poultry keeping:

• martens
  • weasels
  • raccoons (before electric fencing was installed)
  • hedgehogs
  • goshawks (this was before the heavy duty netting)
  • big rats
  • mice

I learned the hard way never to force them into the coop when they obviously fear to get in, but take a good look instead. Here is what I found inside in more than 20 years of poultry keeping:

• martens
  • weasels
  • hedgehogs
  • big rats
  • mice
Thank You I will clear out all their bedding and look

[URL='https://www.backyardchickens.com/goto/post?id=23577821' said:
LaFleche said:[/URL]

• martens
  • weasels
  • hedgehogs
  • big rats
  • mice
Thank You I will clear out all their bedding and look
LaFleche: I totally cleaned out all 12 inches deep of compressed straw and pine shavings in both the top and bottom of the coop, there was no indicators that there was ANYTHING other than my girls residing in there. I did see a little red squirrel run out of their run (the door between coop and run was closed so couldn't get into coop) this morning as I was bringing them out of the house. The squirrels are very persistent in invading their run during the daytime. But I have stopped putting their food in there to try to discourage that. I just bring out their food a couple times a day and let them eat it on the breezeway between the house and garage. then take it away when they begin to forage again

Maybe you could set up a game camera or even two: one inside the coop and one on the outside. This could show what or who is lurking around and pestering your chickens.

Maybe you could set up a game camera or even two: one inside the coop and one on the outside. This could show what or who is lurking around and pestering your chickens.
I am looking into some security cameras, but they must be able to withstand double digits below zero temps in the winter. the best I have found so far is only good to -4 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom