1 degree and still laying

ezicash

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
I have 3 RIR and they just turned 8 months today. 2 of my hens have been laying for months whereas my last hen had not until this morning - 1 degrees outside and piper decides to start laying for the first time so to my surprise I had 3 eggs to pick on this crazy cold morning in the Mid West. I do not have a light on them. All I have is a 75 watt red heat lamp (only size I could fit in their coop)

My 1st question is: How much longer can i expect my hens to be laying? i thought they would of stopped when the weather turned 18 - 35 degrees.

My 2nd question is: my hens do not like the heat lamp (I am assuming) because I have a hard time getting them to go into their coop at night - before the light stayed on (timer goes on below 32 and off at 45) because it has not hit 45 in weeks, i had no problem with them going into the coop. Should i put a bigger lamp? The coop is pretty small for a big heat lamp, that is why i went with the 75 wt bulb. I worry each night if they are warm enough. please help.

It's common in production breeds for them to lay pretty regularly through their first winter. The temp has less to do with it than the photoperiod, but still, most production birds will lay fairly strongly through their first winter. My RSL is still laying every day even though it's been below zero.

They do not need a heat lamp. They need a well ventilated coop that is not drafty and protects them from the elements. They need to be dry and out of the wind. As I mentioned, it's been below zero here and my girls are just fine in their uninsulated coop.

It's common in production breeds for them to lay pretty regularly through their first winter. The temp has less to do with it than the photoperiod, but still, most production birds will lay fairly strongly through their first winter. My RSL is still laying every day even though it's been below zero.

They do not need a heat lamp. They need a well ventilated coop that is not drafty and protects them from the elements. They need to be dry and out of the wind. As I mentioned, it's been below zero here and my girls are just fine in their uninsulated coop.

X 2 on both points.

Thanks so much for answering my concerns. The 75 watt light does not even give off much heat so maybe i should just remove it and see what the temp is inside the coop. The temp is about 35 in the coop. is that good?

Yup. The biggest danger is frostbite, not them freezing to death. That happens when the coop is not well ventilated and moisture builds up in the air. This is why you need vents when common sense would seem to indicate that you should seal it up as best you can. The vents in my coop are above the girls heads as they roost so it's not drafty where they sleep.

Back
Top Bottom