1 Gander trying to kill the other gander?

So far, none of these geese have been aggressive to either of us. I was around them every day since we got them at 8 weeks'ish. My wife dubbed me the 'Goose Father' (in a nod to Terry Pratchett) as when they were young and in their 8x16 pen at night and 5x10 tractor during the day, I experimented with 'walking' them and sure enough, they would follow me around the property and then back into the pen every evening when I transitioned them from the tractor back to the pen.

A pic from one such walkabout where I was also acclimating the dog and geese to each other.

View attachment 3742782

ftr, culling would be a very last resort only if I couldn't rehome (if I decide to try that) and the health and well being of the majority would be best served by doing so. I'll joke about it a lot though. :)

I think I'm going to build a shallow pond out of wood and use either FlexSeal or one of the the liquid products you use to seal under a wet tile installation....or, I could get crazy and build a wood form and do a fiberglass layup. In either case, it has to have a drain for cleaning.
I know nothing about geese but I do know about building a shallow pond. I sheet of plywood, and 2" x 12" for around the sides, then fiberglass and resin it. One thing we didn't think to do it sink the drain so now I have to sweep the excess water into the drain before I can clean it. We've got a ball valve and drain that goes out into the field behind us.
0C4A03A2-8D76-437A-9768-23AE36886F53.jpeg
083B124E-E18B-44A8-9F44-EC27BD76BDEC.jpeg

I know nothing about geese but I do know about building a shallow pond. I sheet of plywood, and 2" x 12" for around the sides, then fiberglass and resin it. One thing we didn't think to do it sink the drain so now I have to sweep the excess water into the drain before I can clean it. We've got a ball valve and drain that goes out into the field behind us. View attachment 3751205View attachment 3751206

what latitude are you? in regards to freezing temps and the water that would be in the pipe from the drain to the ball valve? I'm in southern Indiana and while the winter was overall warm, we did have a week of 0 to minus 3 at night. I completely drained the tank and they did w/o during that week.

My thought on a drain is to use a specific type of pool/spa jet fitting that has a bulkhead fitting to attach it to the plywood but also has 1-1/2" NPT pipe threading on the inside and then use a plug so no water would ever be in the exposed pipe.

My thought has also to build it on top of 2x4's that I miter cut the ends on so I could move it around like a sledge as I will be moving them around our tiny field every so often...and to move it often enough so grass doesn't die under it.

But, lol, I've also put this on the back burner. I priced my plan out at about $235 using Flex Seal + the lumber and we've got a log splitter and tiller to buy this spring. So, it will wait.

Thanks for sharing!

what latitude are you? in regards to freezing temps and the water that would be in the pipe from the drain to the ball valve? I'm in southern Indiana and while the winter was overall warm, we did have a week of 0 to minus 3 at night. I completely drained the tank and they did w/o during that week.

My thought on a drain is to use a specific type of pool/spa jet fitting that has a bulkhead fitting to attach it to the plywood but also has 1-1/2" NPT pipe threading on the inside and then use a plug so no water would ever be in the exposed pipe.

My thought has also to build it on top of 2x4's that I miter cut the ends on so I could move it around like a sledge as I will be moving them around our tiny field every so often...and to move it often enough so grass doesn't die under it.

But, lol, I've also put this on the back burner. I priced my plan out at about $235 using Flex Seal + the lumber and we've got a log splitter and tiller to buy this spring. So, it will wait.

Thanks for sharing!
I'm in North Georgia. When I know we are going to have a big freeze like you are talking about I'll just drain the pool and wait until it warms up before I clean and fill it again. We used 4" PVC pipe going out of the back of the pool. I've never had an issue with the water inside the pipe freezing because it drains out into that field as soon as I open the valve. After cleaning and before filling I blast the pipe through the drain with the hose to clear out anything that might have gone down the drain.

We used to own a charter boat so we had a lot of fiberglass left from that and my husband knew how to work with it. Resin is expensive though. So far so good and it's coming up on 5 years.

I'm in North Georgia. When I know we are going to have a big freeze like you are talking about I'll just drain the pool and wait until it warms up before I clean and fill it again. We used 4" PVC pipe going out of the back of the pool. I've never had an issue with the water inside the pipe freezing because it drains out into that field as soon as I open the valve. After cleaning and before filling I blast the pipe through the drain with the hose to clear out anything that might have gone down the drain.

We used to own a charter boat so we had a lot of fiberglass left from that and my husband knew how to work with it. Resin is expensive though. So far so good and it's coming up on 5 years.
Right on. I have some very minor experience with fiberglass repair (pool and hot tub mechanic for 16 years) ...enough that I'll stay away from it unless I 'need' to. lol.

Just to add, I have space because I free range. Their pen is in my garage, and they've had tussles in there so I've had to make a whole bay just for nesting. One of them usually kicks the other one out into a bay alone, but lately they've been both been competing for attention from the mother hen without too much fuss. The area is about 16x8. 8 ft for the main area where I put food and water and 8 ft for an area to nest.

Back
Top Bottom