1 hen in flock has diarrhea.

BYC60586

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2017
Plainfield, Illiinois
Not sure if I have a problem or not. I have a flock of 6 hens that are just over 6 months old and all are laying. One of the hens has prerty serious diarrhea. It is brown in color, no blood in it. She has had this for about a week and her rear feathers were getting pasty. We cleaned her feathers. Other than that she seems fine, no loss of appetite, plenty of energy, laying every day... Should we be worried? Is there something to do about the diarrhea? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.
I feed them fermented pellet feed. They have free choice to dry pellets and oyster shells. They free range for 2 to 3 hours a day. Will post pic when I get home from work.

Resized_20171018_100255.jpg
Resized_20171018_100254.jpg
Resized_20171018_100255.jpg
Resized_20171018_100254.jpg
I had my wife take a couple pics. This is from this morning around 9.

Perhaps you fed them bad fermented feed.The poop looks like Mucous.Try feeding them normal feed for a while and see if that helps.If the problem persist send the poop in for a Fecal flotation or Smear.Few Drops of Pepto Bismol in the mouth may help with the diarrhea.

@casportpony

Is every single poop like that or does she have firmer poop too?

To me, it looks like Cecal poop - 1 out of every 8-10poops a chicken poops "Cecal Poop" which is a different consistency - it varies in color, but is usually gooey, stinky and sticky.

Drinking a lot of water, having watery treats (watermelon, cucumber, etc.) and eating wet feeds can contribute to having more liquid stools. Think about whether or not there has been any dietary changes or if she's been foraging on something different.

Some girls are a bit lazier pooping and poop does not clear the fluff. Some are just fluffier than others and the poop collects on the feathers. I had one girl I would trim the fluff around the vent to clear a pathway for the poop (if you trim, wear a mask - the fluff is very fine you don't want to breath that in).

It's good that you are paying attention to the poop! It won't hurt to have a fecal test.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

I not sure if all her poops are this way. I noticed her butt was all sticky so we cleaned her butt that led me to think there is a problem. My other 5 hens are ok so I dont think its feed related but no ruling anything out. When I blow the pic up I see little white dots? Could tgose be worm eggs? Flock is 6 months old and never wormed. Other than sticky butt hens ate good. Eating well and plenty of energy.

I not sure if all her poops are this way. I noticed her butt was all sticky so we cleaned her butt that led me to think there is a problem. My other 5 hens are ok so I dont think its feed related but no ruling anything out. When I blow the pic up I see little white dots? Could tgose be worm eggs? Flock is 6 months old and never wormed. Other than sticky butt hens ate good. Eating well and plenty of energy.

How does her crop feel?

Crop feels fine. Food in it through the day full when she goes to roost and empty in the morning. I am going to have a fecal test done soon to rule out worms. As for the peptobismol how much should I give her? She is a 6 month old RIR. Thanks again for the help.

Not sure if I have a problem or not. I have a flock of 6 hens that are just over 6 months old and all are laying. One of the hens has prerty serious diarrhea. It is brown in color, no blood in it. She has had this for about a week and her rear feathers were getting pasty. We cleaned her feathers. Other than that she seems fine, no loss of appetite, plenty of energy, laying every day... Should we be worried? Is there something to do about the diarrhea? Any help is appreciated.
Have you wormed the flock since you've had it. Had the same problem and that seemed to take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom