Diarrhea in Otherwise Healthy Bird

TreeFarmer85

Hatching
Dec 3, 2023
Hi All. New to chicken keeping and had a question about diarrhea. I have one hen that always has diarrhea, but is otherwise healthy. She eats and drinks, fine, has the same energy level as the other birds, and I would say is probably one of the more dominant hens in the flock. She just always has watery diarrhea (no blood or mucous from what I can tell).

The birds are all about 7 months old. Maybe about a month ago I gave them a course of Fenbendazole on advice of a vet in case they may have had worms but that didn't seem to do anything. All of the other birds have normal bowel movements.

Any thoughts on what it could be and what could be done about it? She appears fit and healthy otherwise.

Fresh water is supplied daily if not multiple times per day. Food is layer pellets. They receive occasional treats such as mealworms or yogurt but not excessively so.

If she is otherwise healthy, I wouldn't be too worried. I had a rooster for years whose droppings were always a little off. I never could figure it out. You could try getting a sample of her droppings to test for parasites as fenbendazole doesn't kill everything.

It also wouldn't hurt to try adding some probiotics to their food -- just wet down their normal pellets, stir in the probiotic and serve it as a mash. I've used a brand called Equa Holistic Healthy Gut. I had a couple of chickens with looser stools -- not really diarrhea -- but a little looser than normal. The probiotics firmed up everyone in a few days.

I have a similar chicken (same age and everything). I think she just drinks a lot more than she eats. I keep trimming her butt feathers, but it’s a losing battle. Girl just loves to hydrate!

If she is otherwise healthy, I wouldn't be too worried. I had a rooster for years whose droppings were always a little off. I never could figure it out. You could try getting a sample of her droppings to test for parasites as fenbendazole doesn't kill everything.

It also wouldn't hurt to try adding some probiotics to their food -- just wet down their normal pellets, stir in the probiotic and serve it as a mash. I've used a brand called Equa Holistic Healthy Gut. I had a couple of chickens with looser stools -- not really diarrhea -- but a little looser than normal. The probiotics firmed up everyone in a few days.

X2

I'm a huge proponent of probiotics. We ferment mixed grain/feed which is high in probiotics/prebiotics. I was doing it just every three days but now that it's winter I'll be doing it every day. Otherwise, sugar-free Greek yogurt is very high too. In a pinch, 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar per gallon of water can help too, but alternate days of that.

I have a similar chicken (same age and everything). I think she just drinks a lot more than she eats. I keep trimming her butt feathers, but it’s a losing battle. Girl just loves to hydrate!
We have one remaining old half cochin/half silky chicken of three that were given to us years ago. All three of them had poopy butts so every few months hubby and I would go in the coop at night and cut their back ends. They are just pigs all the way around. This last one is a bully to my silkies like pecks them at the feed dishes so she can eat by herself. I honestly hope she dies soon. She's got to be about 10 now.

Back
Top Bottom