1 Hen refusing to coop

Littlelandfarms

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2018
We have 4 hens around 16 weeks old. One has started refusing to go into the coop at night. She seems to be the oldest and the leader of the pack lol. Any ideas what’s going on? She doesn’t love me putting her in the coop at night. The last two nights she has wanted to stand on top of the coop inside the run.

Do you have enough roosts?
Are they long enough for all of them?
How high are the roosts?
If she's the "alfa" maybe she's "protecting" the flock. You may want to toss some feed or treats in the coop, she may go in or keep putting her in.

Right now we have two roosts inside the hen house and two nesting boxes for the four ladies. We also have roosts outside in the run. But she was acting as if she was looking out for something and really wanted to refuse going in so you may be right. Maybe she was on a look out

How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and/or pics would really help here.

Also....Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-12-15_8-15-22.png

Whenever my chickens refuse to go into the coop at night, I catch them or wait for them to go in for either food or water and then I close them in for a couple days. This has always worked for me.

Chickens just naturally want to roost in the highest place possible, some will even roost in the rafters or outside in trees. Could be she just sees the top of the coop as the tallest safest spot to roost. If she's the leader, then others will follow eventually. If she's actually lower on the totem pole, could be that others are crowding her out and the roof is where she fits best.

If you have a small prefab coop, it may not be roomy enough for evening scuffling and adjusting around on the roosts. Some chickens just like to have their own space. Just keep putting her inside like others have suggested and it's possible she'll learn and accept that routine. You'll be able to tell over time if you need to expand your coop size.

Back
Top Bottom