1 hen started sleeping alone.

Zchicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Dutchess County, NY
My Coop
My Coop
I have 7 hens and 1 rooster, all the same age, mixed breeds. They are all about 17 weeks old, no eggs yet. A few weeks ago I went to lock the coop up in the evening and 1 of the girls was missing. I was heartbroken and spent the next few hours looking for her with no luck. Well in the morning when I went to let them out of the coop into the run she was already out in the run! Apparently she had slept on this little bit of shelf above the coop but that is stil safely enclosed in our roofed, secure little run. (it's a perfectly cozy little spot) I figured the roosts in the coop weren't adequate so I changed them around, evened them out, made more space etc. then took down the roost in the run that she used to get up onto the shelf. So she slept back inside the coop with all the others for 2 nights then went right back to her shelf! I decided to let her be so i set up the shelf all nice with a little roost and shavings etc. And she's been there ever since. I'm just wondering why she's left the others and the coop. During the day, she hangs out with them all, she isn't runty or particularly pecked on. She's eating, healthy and all. I'm clueless and I just want to do the right thing! It's warm weather now but what about come winter time? Please offer any insight or advice. Thanks.

They are getting older and don't need to cuddle anymore, she is fine this is natural. in winter they will seek out warmth from each other. She just wants to sleep alone for now.

I have one who was raised alone by a broody, and has always tended to keep to herself. She's about two years old now. She now sleeps on the roost with the rest, but for most of her life she would find one spot or another in the coop where she would sleep by herself. My flock of 10 tends to stay in 3 groups as well, though they share one roost. It's quite normal for them to group themselves like this. As long as she's able to get food and drink, and not being viciously attacked, I'd just let them all do their thing.

Back
Top Bottom