I seriously doubt that your keet has Mareks. Guineas have fragile legs that can be very easily injured.
Great I have a lot of fowl here (chickens, ducks, and guineas), and more Keets hatching this very minute. I just don't know what to do with her. I will keep her isolated and confined until I see some improvement in her condition.
Thanks

Great I have a lot of fowl here (chickens, ducks, and guineas), and more Keets hatching this very minute. I just don't know what to do with her. I will keep her isolated and confined until I see some improvement in her condition.
Thanks
Not what you want to hear, if it was mine, I would have already culled it.

I keep 5 keets with 7 chicks in their own 3'x3'x2' wired run. All 1 month old. They sleep on the grass piled up, and in the morning I move their run to fresh grass. Always refreshing the water and giving ample feed. It's been rainy these past few weeks, with scattered showers then very warm sunshine, so I provided areas to keep dry or shaded. This morning I go out and find 1 keet seemingly lounging in the shade, with a chick standing on her. Obviously this didn't seem right so I go over and very easily grab her. I find her very calm, with one leg tucked underneath her and one splayed out. The one that's splayed out behind her is slight cold and she doesnt move it at all. The one underneath her can't support her weight and she doesnt like to move that either. Her crop is full, and she's pooping regularly (soft but solid, black and streaks of white, very normal). I'm really not sure what to make of this. These are my first Guinea fowl, and I've never had this problem with my chicks. I have her burrito'd into a dish towel to keep her warm right now. Gave VetRX and cleaned any poop off of her. Any suggestions? (Going to the vet is completely off the table) attached are photos of her in her current condition.
Hi, I am glad that your keet is doing better after giving the multi min vitamin... perhaps it is a vitamin deficiency BUT Just be aware that your keet is displaying the symptoms of Marek's disease. You can google it for info. I experienced it years ago and only lost a few 6 week old chicks. Your babies are the right age for it. Good Luck and whatever is the problem I hope for best outcome for you.👍🏽✌🏽

Hi, I am glad that your keet is doing better after giving the multi min vitamin... perhaps it is a vitamin deficiency BUT Just be aware that your keet is displaying the symptoms of Marek's disease. You can google it for info. I experienced it years ago and only lost a few 6 week old chicks. Your babies are the right age for it. Good Luck and whatever is the problem I hope for best outcome for you.👍🏽✌🏽
While there is little scientific evidence available one way or another, it is likely that Guinea fowl are not susceptible to Marek’s disease.
https://ask2.extension.org/kb/faq.php?id=448922

It wasn't Marek's, but I do realize it is a symptom. They have all grown to maturity by now, but a racoon took 3 out of my 5, The runt who had paralyzed legs being one of them 💔

Back
Top Bottom