1 of 6 hens inconsistent laying - why?

SassShenn

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
I have 6 hens with 1 roo, all hatched together and housed in the same pen, on the same food, same everything. They've all been laying consistently (6 eggs a day total from them), but the past week or so, I'm only getting 5 eggs a day. I'm not sure which hen is not laying (I've only ever actually caught one in the act!), but it seems weird that only 1 of the 6 suddenly stopped. If it were seasonal or light related, or nutritionally related, I would think it would be more than 1. Help! I'm newer to raising quail so want to cover any bases on my end if there are things I should be aware of or should check to ensure my girls are in the best health.

Don't worry. They are living beings, even if mass produced production breeds, and they vary. It's probably just the 1st one going into moult.
would the be holding already if they're only a few months old? They've been laying consistently for several weeks so far and don't have any difference in feather appearance. I'm just not sure if there are other things I should look for/be aware of with our hens with onesud1 suddenly laying different but it sounds like that can be a variation of normal?

I didn't realize they were that young; unlikely to be molting then, but variability is definitely to be expected. They will be settling in to their own laying patterns. And one may be hiding a nest if you let them free range.

I don't know anything about quail, but could it be that its a differant one each day not laying? So they might all be slowing down a little rather then one in particular?

Back
Top Bottom