1 out and a bunch to go !! Hows everyones eggs doing, any hatching ???

well 11 splash silkies so far, 3 more silkies in the bator (I put them in late, couldnt stop adding eggs) and 1 barred rock egg...... waiting........
fl.gif

Hope they make it since they were behind the others and i had to up the hum so the others could hatch and not dry out !!!

Good luck everyone and congrats on your hatches !!!!!!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
WOW !!! Did you think about making the chick with the curled toes little bootys ??? a little peice of cardboard with a small band aid to hold it on ?? so the toes stay flat ( heard it works good ) keep us updated !!!!

I did . In my last hatch , well the first quail hatch three chicks had it and one died, the next chicks whole leg started turning and i just culled it last week after he got picked on badly by the others the last was ok.
this one got two little black tape booties now but hasnt figured out yet how to walk.
really hard to do with 1/4oz chicks

Quote:
WOW !!! Did you think about making the chick with the curled toes little bootys ??? a little peice of cardboard with a small band aid to hold it on ?? so the toes stay flat ( heard it works good ) keep us updated !!!!

I did . In my last hatch , well the first quail hatch three chicks had it and one died, the next chicks whole leg started turning and i just culled it last week after he got picked on badly by the others the last was ok.
this one got two little black tape booties now but hasnt figured out yet how to walk.

I would think it would be hard to walk !!!! I could see myself sitting there with this little chick teaching it how to walk, LOL
Is h/she eating and drinking at all ??

Quote:
maybe it needs some help, I had to hatch out my little one the piped the wrong end, also had one that piped yesterday and dryed out, What is your humitidy at ??? try to keep the egg moist but dont drowned the chick !!! how long has the egg been piped for ??

This one was an odd one, I have never seen one do anything like this. Humidity is actually running too high now that they have started hatching. And I have had to vent the incubator a couple of times....wouldn't you guys love that that are told to step away. The pip hole was all bloody, it tried to hatch way too early. Helping it would have been a major bleed. It died in the shell during the night.
sad.png
but I knew helping it was going to be worse. Two other blue chicks have hatched though and are making a lot of noise.

Thank you for your thoughts on this, it was appreciated.

Sorry Verthandi...you did the right thing. I've often wondered what would happen if the chick just happened to pip right on a major blood vessel. Didn't know if you would be able to see blood at the pip...now I know...thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Thanks for understanding. I have helped several that weren't so bad, but the outcome has been a chick with breathing and heart problems for life. They usual make it about a year and die. This one was tough as it was fighting to live and chirping in my hand when I moisten the membrane. It just takes too much out of me to help them and have them die in my hand now if I feel their odds are way stacked against them. And this one was one of those that I feel would have had several problems if it survived with the amount that it had bled.

Quote:
maybe it needs some help, I had to hatch out my little one the piped the wrong end, also had one that piped yesterday and dryed out, What is your humitidy at ??? try to keep the egg moist but dont drowned the chick !!! how long has the egg been piped for ??

This one was an odd one, I have never seen one do anything like this. Humidity is actually running too high now that they have started hatching. And I have had to vent the incubator a couple of times....wouldn't you guys love that that are told to step away. The pip hole was all bloody, it tried to hatch way too early. Helping it would have been a major bleed. It died in the shell during the night.
sad.png
but I knew helping it was going to be worse. Two other blue chicks have hatched though and are making a lot of noise.

Thank you for your thoughts on this, it was appreciated.

aww sorry for your lose, its hard to lose em even if you never knew em, things happen for un known reasons !!!!

I have 9 eggs under a buff orpington, day 20. One has a hole cracked in the shell near the big end, and something looking like a little toe nail sticking out. It flutters and pulses every once in a while. It is soooo hot here that Farrah (mama to be) has been hovering over the eggs alot and today she is off the nest quite a bit, but as it is 100 degrees right now, I think it is okay. I just hope it is not too hot. Anyone else worried about babies and mama's in the heat? This is my first batch, so I am somewhat nervous. I guess I need to just let nature work it's miracle...........Can't wait to see my first little chick!
big_smile.png

Quote:

I would think it would be hard to walk !!!! I could see myself sitting there with this little chick teaching it how to walk, LOL
Is h/she eating and drinking at all ??

I had to put it down. S/he could do nothing but stretch the legs out straight and it kept on geting trampeled. So overnight the healthy bunch pushed it away from the heat and this morning it was barely alive. I mioxed up some baking soda and vinegar and put the chick in a rubbermaid with the mix. Its fast and painless . Its okay i still have the others and its natures way to take care of the weak. It would want it for breeding anyways.

Back
Top Bottom