1 pipped How long before it does anything UPDATED: 4 HATCHED!!

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
One of the eggs has pipped (a few hours ago) but hasn't made any progress. Should I assume it's dead? How long do they typically rest after pipping before zipping??

Last edited:
Sometimes as long as 24 hours but sometimes I can hear chirpings and if it is less and not as loud, you might intervene as I do sometimes and they made it out just fine. It based on survivablity and if you didnt have enough humidity for them not to stick in their egg shells, I would help them out.

I would wait a while before I help them out. If it bleeds when you peel back the shell, leave it alone and let them finish it out. A very bloody chick can mean death to them while others survived just fine.

It was still chirping as of three hours ago, and when I just went up to watch the 'bator I saw the piece of shell where the pip is move--so it's hopefully working on it. So how long do I wait before I intervene??
PS- LACK of humidity has not been a problem with this hatch--As I write this there is still condensation on the windows of the incubator, even though the wells seem to be evaporating b/c I haven't opened the 'bator since day 18 (tonight is day 21). So we actually have too much humidity.

You want to wait another couple days before intervening. They will take a while to hatch and if you try to pull them out too soon they will not survive. I know it is difficult but you must be patient.

Richard

I just found this from one of my earlier posts and think it might explain why patience is a virtue!
big_smile.png

Quote:

When I wen to bed last night this egg was no where near hatching, and when I got up a few minutes ago to check, it had zipped but I thought it would be another couple hours, so I climbed back into bed and heard some rattling in the 'baotr....Wouldn't you know it, it hatched while I wasn't looking! It has a little pit of a bloody navel, but it's not like bleeding, it's just pink. YAY!!!! I'm so excited!!!
PS- Also while I was asleep, three faverolle eggs pipped, and when this little chick hatched and started scooting around the incubator and peeping, someone is chirping back to it!!!

Well, a total of four chicks have hatched now, and I think that's all that will hatch b/c none of the other eggs are pipped, moving or chirping. Three hatched on their own, but I helped one little guy who had been trying all day and wasn't making much progress....I'm not sure if he'll live...His navel looks a tad bloody, and he has deformed feet.

Back
Top Bottom