1 rooster, two separate flock???

mowin

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 17, 2018
Upstate NY
I've got two separate flocks and coop/runs. First has 7 hens, the other 6. I do let's the gals out 2-3 times a week during the last couple hrs of the day.
Can the rooster stay in one of the coops? Or would he need to be separated in his own space?
If he did stay with one of the flocks would he interact, protect the ladies from the 2nd coop when I let them out?

No need to separate him. Do your 2 flocks mingle while free ranging? If so he will most likely claim both flocks as his own. Do the hens always stay away from the other flock? Then it will depend on personalities...the hens and his. It is different getting hens to accept another hen than for hens to accept a roo.

No need to separate him. Do your 2 flocks mingle while free ranging? If so he will most likely claim both flocks as his own. Do the hens always stay away from the other flock? Then it will depend on personalities...the hens and his. It is different getting hens to accept another hen than for hens to accept a roo.
They tend to stay away from each other, but once in a while they interact when I toss out some treats. A few scuffles have taken place.

Haven't decided if I will get a rooster or not. Doing my homework before I do. Fewer issues the better.

I don't now what will happen. That would likely shake up the pecking order some. He'll probably mate with hens in both flocks. The two flocks may merge into one, maybe to the point of all moving into one coop. Or they may stay separate. This would be my guess as most likely, two sub-flocks with the rooster visiting both.

He may stop fights between hens. Or he may imprint on one flock and treat the other flock like a danger to his girls. You just don't know.

once in a while they interact when I toss out some treats. A few scuffles have taken place.
They stop tossing them treats when they free range together if you are concerned they might hurt each other. Those scuffles are probably no big deal though.

I don't now what will happen. That would likely shake up the pecking order some. He'll probably mate with hens in both flocks. The two flocks may merge into one, maybe to the point of all moving into one coop. Or they may stay separate. This would be my guess as most likely, two sub-flocks with the rooster visiting both.

He may stop fights between hens. Or he may imprint on one flock and treat the other flock like a danger to his girls. You just don't know.

They stop tossing them treats when they free range together if you are concerned they might hurt each other. Those scuffles are probably no big deal though.
Ya, they last a few seconds then they go there separate way.

My question is why do you have two separate groups? I think he will want all of them, and will combine them into one flock.
I originally had one coop, run flock of 8 pullets.
About a yr or so in, one got injured and then attacked. Put her in a small coop next to her flock mates until she healed. Within a hr of putting her back in with her flock she was a bloody mess. Now before you start asking about coop and run size, I'm well above the 4-10 sf minimum. Put her back in the hospital. Couldn't see culling her as it wasn't her fault. Built a separate coop/run and added five 10 week old pullets to keep her company. Almost a yr since. Trying to think of ways to combine, but might just wait until these get old enough to cull, then building and starting over.

Adding a single bird back into a flock is a whole different game than adding 6 birds into a flock of 8. And adding a rooster would really help that. And I would do it all at once, a new rooster, and putting the flocks together.

If you have a clutter in your run, platforms, hideouts, roosts, these things help too. I rearrange it, so it is a bit "new" to the original flock, and add the other new birds all at once. I have had very good luck, with trading places, put the original birds, where you have the new birds, the new birds where you have the old ones for a day, then as close to dark as you can, let the old ones back in to their coop.

This allows the new birds to the coop, explore the area without being chased or harassed. And multiple feed bowls, so that when a bird is eating in one place, they cannot be seen in another.

Good luck.
Mrs K

Adding a single bird back into a flock is a whole different game than adding 6 birds into a flock of 8. And adding a rooster would really help that. And I would do it all at once, a new rooster, and putting the flocks together.

If you have a clutter in your run, platforms, hideouts, roosts, these things help too. I rearrange it, so it is a bit "new" to the original flock, and add the other new birds all at once. I have had very good luck, with trading places, put the original birds, where you have the new birds, the new birds where you have the old ones for a day, then as close to dark as you can, let the old ones back in to their coop.

This allows the new birds to the coop, explore the area without being chased or harassed. And multiple feed bowls, so that when a bird is eating in one place, they cannot be seen in another.

Good luck.
Mrs K
I'm kinda thinking about doing that. I'd have to build a new larger coop/run to fit all 13 first.

Back
Top Bottom