1 soft layer out of 5

georgia2

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Hello,
I have 5 lovely hens who are very spoiled. They get to roam all over our country wooded yard all day. They are pretty happy and healthy except for one bird. She was the queen of the run until we got new chicks and two of them turned out to be roosters! WE kept them for a while until they started doing what roosters do best. We found a nice home for them and all was well except with Lucy. During those last few weeks she stopped laying altogether then after they left she started laying softer shelled eggs. They were okay, just softer. The roosters have been gone since the end of Sept. but now her eggs are so soft they break in the nest and contaninate the others eggs. All the other eggs are extremely hard. any advice??
sad.png

I just answered my own question. I went out and peeked in the coop to find all the birds roosting with Lucy on the bottom. I went in and put Lucy on the roost and immediately Meanie was looking at her in a menacing way. She jumped back down. I tried again same thing.

I haven't witnessed any pecking, feather pulling or any aggressive behavior. NO feathers laying around anywhere. But Lucy is no longer the alpha hen! I don't want her to stress herself to death. What if I separate Meanie at night and let her roost by herself? WIll Lucy feel better?

Yes, we give them oyster shells and i also dry the eggs shells, crush them and feed them back to them,
I really do think it must be MEanie! That girls is so mean she comes after me and my husband! WE were wondering if she could be a hermaphrodite! I am considering making her sleep alone but haven't figured it out so far.

Back
Top Bottom