1 week old chick gaping - STILL NEED ADVICE PLEASE-see pg 3 for status

My chick is about the same. I read some today about using Oxine for a fog or mist for birds with upper respiratory infections. Any thoughts out there about that?

I still need advice on this chick, if anyone is able to help. It is still gaping, and I'm thinking it is doing that because its nasal passages are stopped up. It is still strong and eating, but opens its mouth to inhale much of the time.

Initially I could see a little discoloration around the nostrils, like there was a discharge. I took it out this evening to get a better look at it, and could see some dried crud around the nostrils. I made up a solution of VetRx and used that on Q-tips to gently clean the crud from the nostrils. One of the nostrils looks normal after cleaning - the other looks strange - the hole is not distinct and it looks a little red between the nostril and the eye where I believe a sinus is located. I will continue with frequent VetRx cleaning of the nostrils. (Boy, that stuff smells good! I'm going to get it out when I have a cold!)

Do you think this could be infectious coryza? I don't know how the chick could have been exposed - I have them in my den and have been careful to wash hands and change clothes between chores with the hens outside and chores with the chicks. If it seems like infectious coryza, should I change from tetracycline in the water to erythromycin?

I haven't done anything with Oxine yet - a little reluctant to try that on a 9-day-old chick.

Still no signs of illness in the other chicks, even the little cockerel that I put in with the gaping chick for company.

What else could cause this problem? What else should I do?

It sounds like it could be a sinus infection. Not sure what antibiotic would work best for that tho. Cleaning with the vetrx sounds like a very good move. If you don't see any change with the tetry I would maybe try a broader spectrum antibiotic. Hopefully someone here could help you more. I know you love your chicks, but if you are like me you really don't want to spend big bucks to take a chic to the vet. Best of luck and I hope it gets well soon.

I treated mine with PolyViSol infant vitamins for about 5 days and is now 8 weeks old I decided to treated the water and give it to all the chicks. They all seemed to have more engry then my last batch of chicks

Thanks - I'm hopeful, because the chick still seems strong and is eating and nobody else is sick. I am hoping to hear from someone that has seen something like this in a chick.

When I got my chicks from Ideal, one had a closed eye. I thought it was just banged in transit, so I ignored it. The chick never got better. It wasn't really sick, so I didn't know what to do.

I tried Terramycin eye ointment, but it didn't cure it.

Then the chick started to sneeze, wheeze, and look sick.

We culled the chick.

I wish we had done it sooner. I now feel that the risk to the other birds is too great to try to save a sickly chick. The symptoms of the disease may go away after antibiotic treatment, but sometimes the chick is still a carrier and can infect your whole flock. You just don't know unless you take it to a vet and get a positive diagnosis of a particular disease.

I hope your chick is just a little strange, and I hope she grows out of it.

i have one or two doing the head shake thing and sometimes opening the mouth wide and stuff. and acting puffed up. but I can't figure out what is going on with them! they eat and drink and poop just fine. I wish I knew what was wrong! i don't see any discharge from the nose though, so it doesn't seem like a viral thing or whatnot....

its been going on for a week

Last edited:
My chick is not acting sick. It eats, drinks, and is strong. It is growing. It is trying to fly out of the box. The rooster chick that I put with it for company has not gotten sick. I don't think there is much chance of the chick infecting the rest of the flock.

The nostrils are tiny on both sides. I don't know if it was simply born that way and can't clear its nasal passages, or if it inhaled some dust or something and got the nasal passages inflamed, or what.

The sinus area looks better (not red) and there is no nasal discharge. I am hoping that what I am doing is helping and that the nasal passages will open up better in time.

mine doesn't act sick either except for the head shake thing and the puffing up with the tail down... and that is not all the time. she does everything else with the rest of the group most of the time. I just wonder if Im just too overly paranoid or something ya know?

I have one chick doing this also. We tried the olive oil last night-didnt work-Im going to the store today to get the vitamin liquid-hope it hangs on until then-very sweet chick though loves to be held now-is one of the smaller ones too:-(

Back
Top Bottom