1 week old chick suddenly dying

highrockieschic

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2014
I have 17 chicks and 5 turkey poults in my brooder. All were active and crazy at midnight last night. I gave them some meal worms, which they go nuts for.

This morning at 8am my favorite easter egger chick was struggling. Other chicks were walking on her and she seemed to have spasms, like maybe a neurological issue? She is now lethargic and not moving much. Still breathing. I'm giving her a Life-Lyte vitamin and electrolyte supplement mixed with sugar in warm water via eye dropper. She fights me, but when I lay her down she doesn't move. She doesn't seem to be struggling to breath and she hasn't perked up in the last hour. I don't think she's going to make it.

What could this be?

I have raised many chicks before (never turkeys) and never had any die. There is no pasty butt. Heat source is at one end. I'm feeding them organic chick starter/grower.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great. No signs of distress in any other chicks or poults
20210421_105827.jpg
20210421_111927.jpg

I have 17 chicks and 5 turkey poults in my brooder. All were active and crazy at midnight last night. I gave them some meal worms, which they go nuts for.

This morning at 8am my favorite easter egger chick was struggling. Other chicks were walking on her and she seemed to have spasms, like maybe a neurological issue? She is now lethargic and not moving much. Still breathing. I'm giving her a Life-Lyte vitamin and electrolyte supplement mixed with sugar in warm water via eye dropper. She fights me, but when I lay her down she doesn't move. She doesn't seem to be struggling to breath and she hasn't perked up in the last hour. I don't think she's going to make it.

What could this be?

I have raised many chicks before (never turkeys) and never had any die. There is no pasty butt. Heat source is at one end. I'm feeding them organic chick starter/grower.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great. No signs of distress in any other chicks or poults
View attachment 2628433View attachment 2628432.
I have no idea what it could be, but I have 16 2 week old chicks. One became very lethargic about a week ago and also stopped eating and drinking. I found this remedy suggestion on a site called Chickenlandia. It worked like a charm. Make a weak green tea. Let it cool, then add electrolytes (at the recommended dosage). Beat a raw egg yolk and add 2/3 C. of the green tea mixture. Feed with a dropper, drooping on the side of the beak, not directly inside the mouth. Feed until the chick has had enough. This seriously worked like a miracle. She also added a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy. I didn’t have any so made it without. My little chick loved it and within minutes perked up. Shel’s been fine ever since. Hope this is in time and works for you.

I think this might be wry neck. It came on so sudden! I'm giving all my other chicks vitamin water now just in case it's a deficiency and not genetic.

Anyone have really young chicks that recovered from wry neck? I've done a search and found nothing. I'm just wondering if I should cull this poor chick. I gave it the egg yolk mix and it's fighting me more now when I handle it, but definitely has wry neck. It's head is upside down. Poor chickee.
20210421_155415.jpg
20210421_155550.jpg

Back
Top Bottom